cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special email offer from American express......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Special email offer from American express......

Has any one receive special emails offer from American  express, applied and approved for them?

What I'm wondering is, Is this a good sign for me to get approve for one of their cards?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: Special email offer from American express......

I just recieved an email offer too yesterday from AMEX for thebluesky card offering a 7,500 point bonus and $100.00 bonus and no annual fee, In which I do not use transportation by flying much so this card is useless to me, I wish I was offered the regular blue card or the clear I would have app'd and took the hit in which would have been worth it and I would have cancelled my current gold charge card.  But I would say pretty good chance to app if nothing has changed on cr's

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 14
Rebuilding101
Regular Contributor

Although I don't know much, I gotta disagree on this one. I tried the preapproval page for Amex and get nothing, was shot down by them last year, and I have pretty bad credit.  And I still get offers in my email. I don't think it's a good indicator that you will get approved, at least it's not for me.

Starting Score(4/1/10): EQ: 631--- TU: 646
Current Score(4/1/10): EQ: 725--- TU: 686
Goal Score: EQ: 850--- TU: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
tray
Valued Contributor

@Rebuilding101 wrote:

Although I don't know much, I gotta disagree on this one. I tried the preapproval page for Amex and get nothing, was shot down by them last year, and I have pretty bad credit.  And I still get offers in my email. I don't think it's a good indicator that you will get approved, at least it's not for me.

Not true, In Feburary of this year I recieved an email from Amex for an offer for the premier gold card with the annual fee waived for the year, 10,000 bonus points given after the 1st purchase using the card, mind you I already had the regular gold card at the time, but I went ahead with the app anyway and was APPROVED but it did result with a hard inquiry from Amex.  So to say for the most part there are approvals done.  Also Amex reimbursed me pretty much most the annual fee from the regular gold card and I recieved my bonus points in a quick timely manner.  My credit score is not pristine neither a few baddies on EX report.  Also for yourself be patient and watch you will get a AMEX card, I can remember always trying the pre-select site for offers and there was always no offers at this time, but one day I was shocked I was pre-selected for the green or gold card, went for the lesser annual fee card the green and was approved, still with baddies on my ex report, so you see you just never know.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tray wrote:

@Rebuilding101 wrote:

Not true, In Feburary of this year I recieved an email from Amex for an offer for the premier gold card with the annual fee waived for the year, 10,000 bonus points given after the 1st purchase using the card, mind you I already had the regular gold card at the time, but I went ahead with the app anyway and was APPROVED but it did result with a hard inquiry from Amex.  So to say for the most part there are approvals done.  Also Amex reimbursed me pretty much most the annual fee from the regular gold card and I recieved my bonus points in a quick timely manner.  My credit score is not pristine neither a few baddies on EX report.  Also for yourself be patient and watch you will get a AMEX card, I can remember always trying the pre-select site for offers and there was always no offers at this time, but one day I was shocked I was pre-selected for the green or gold card, went for the lesser annual fee card the green and was approved, still with baddies on my ex report, so you see you just never know.

thanks,

i just applied and was declined, due to to many inquires, 1 public report, and delinquencies...Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 14
Rebuilding101
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry Smiley Sad

Starting Score(4/1/10): EQ: 631--- TU: 646
Current Score(4/1/10): EQ: 725--- TU: 686
Goal Score: EQ: 850--- TU: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rebuilding101 wrote:

I'm sorry Smiley Sad

thats o.k, hey better luck next time huh Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 14
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure if some realize this, but the Amex emails are "email advertisements", not preapproved offers, and are emailed to those who sign up for offers by giving Amex their email address on their website.  I honestly don't believe they're tied to a soft inquiry to see if you're eligible.  Read the fine print, and you'll see nothing about preapproved, etc...it just says email advertisement.  

If you're opted in, aside from US Mail preapproved offers, the only other offers tied to a soft inq on your actual report are most likely the Amex offer page where you can fill in your info and check against any standing offers from prior soft inqs.  That site does not check in real time to see if you're qualified, either. 

Incidentally, Amex is probably basing any actual pre-approvals on soft inqs of your Experian file.  So be aware that if your Experian is not up to Amex's standards for approvals (even though you made the cut for their soft inq minimum screening criteria to be offered something), there's a good chance you will not be approved. 

Message 8 of 14
tray
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tray wrote:

@Rebuilding101 wrote:

thanks,

i just applied and was declined, due to to many inquires, 1 public report, and delinquencies...Smiley Sad

Sorry to hear about your denial, once your baddies start to come off you will have a better chance, I think the ultimate demise in your denial is your public record.  When I first was offered a Amex card via the pre-select site green card in Oct of last year I had 4 inquiries, one charge off and 3 collections on my report, my report is now cleaner and once I was able to get my foot in the door with Amex was able to prove myself upgraded to gold card, and then the premier gold card via email app.  If you read my other thread there were alot of times too amex would offer me nothing. Once your public record comes off your report and I do not know how many delinquencies you have you will have a better shot.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tray wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tray wrote:

@Rebuilding101 wrote:

Although I don't know much, I gotta disagree on this one. I tried the preapproval page for Amex And get nothing, was shot down by them last year, And I have pretty bad credit.  And I still get offers in my email. I don't think it's a good indicator that you will get approved, at least it's not for me.

Not true, In Feburary of this year I recieved an email from Amex for an offer for the premier gold card with the annual fee waived for the year, 10,000 bonus points given after the 1st purchase using the card, mind you I already had the regular gold card at the time, but I went ahead with the app anyway And was APPROVED but it did result with a hard inquiry from Amex.  So to say for the most part there are approvals done.  Also Amex reimbursed me pretty much most the annual fee from the regular gold card And I recieved my bonus points in a quick timely manner.  My credit score is not pristine neither a few baddies on EX report.  Also for yourself be patient And watch you will get a AMEX card, I can remember always trying the pre-select site for offers And there was always no offers at this time, but one day I was shocked I was pre-selected for the green or gold card, went for the lesser annual fee card the green And was approved, still with baddies on my ex report, so you see you just never know.

thanks,

I just applied And was declined, due to to many inquires, 1 public report, And delinquencies...Smiley Sad

Sorry to hear about your denial, once your baddies start to come off you will have a better chance, I think the ultimate demise in your denial is your public record.  When I first was offered a Amex card via the pre-select site green card in Oct of last year I had 4 inquiries, one charge off And 3 collections on my report, my report is now cleaner And once I was able to get my foot in the door with Amex was able to prove myself upgraded to gold card, And then the premier gold card via email app.  If you read my other thread there were alot of times too amex would offer me nothing. Once your public record comes off your report And I do not know how many delinquencies you have you will have a better shot.

thanks,

I don't think my public report will come off  no time soon, that was put on my credit last yr of 2009.And I only have 2 delinquencies on 2  cr And 3 on the other. And a good bit of inquiries. I don't think I will try again until the end of the yr....

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.