cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific Chase CCs being shown when I click CCs when logged into my account...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Specific Chase CCs being shown when I click CCs when logged into my account...

Hey everyone,

When I am logged into my CSP account, I am able to click on the credit card tab from the drop down menu and am shown cards that I have expressed interest in and could reasonable qualify for based on income and credit score/history. I applied for and was approved for the CSP about a month ago. I have read that you should wait anywhere from 3 months + before sending Chase another app, so I was wondering if this was just marketing for a card I can't really get (Freedom).

Have been tempted to targeting the freedom as my next card with the 0% for 15 months, 5% back on grocery purchases, and modest sign up bonus for $500 spend.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Smiley Happy

UPDATE: Feeling bold, sent in app, denied at first but sent letter asking to verify my gross income and then further review would be completed. Detailed in a comment I made to this post.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Specific Chase CCs being shown when I click CCs when logged into my account...

Chances are you could get the card...but history has shown that with apps too close together, Chase has had a history of approving that second card and then shutting it down (sometimes also closing the first). You are best served by giving it a few months between apps with Chase and any other cards, from them or anyone else. Play it safe.

Message 2 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Specific Chase CCs being shown when I click CCs when logged into my account...

If you just got approved for CSP, it takes about 6-8 weeks for marketing to catch up to lending. 

One month apart is way to soon. Longer you have CSP, and more spend you put on it, more likely you are to get future approval. 

Of course, you could just as easily get approved for Freedom, but only you know what your risk tolerance is in case second application goes sideways. 

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty unlearned on the time to space things out. Most Youtubers (my intro to the CC hobby) seem to gloss over the space to put between applications (other than 5/24), so I am rather uninformed aside from what I've been gathering and reading here. 

While I would say that my risk tolerance is high (no new loans needed for at least 5+ years, but bought two cars for cash from my parents), I am not in the market for taking unecessary HPs for a fruitless endeavor, if you think it would be such. 

I planned on gardening my two recent accounts (other is Amex BCE @ $1800 limit) with my older Disco to show good habits with "grown up" cards, but the freedom, which I already had my eye on, has gotten hotter and hotter over the last couple months ($150 sub to $200, now the 5% grocery). Just putting my feelers out there to see if it is a risky play or an outright stupid play with no chance.

Message 4 of 13
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I have heard about similar circumstances where people have been approved for the second card, but they were not issued another line of credit and instead, offered the second card after pulling part of the credit line from the first card.  If you agree, 2 cards, no more available credit...if you decline, you stay with 1 card and the original line.  It's a risky bet too close to another approval from Chase IMHO right now.

Message 5 of 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

If you just got approved for CSP, it takes about 6-8 weeks for marketing to catch up to lending. 

OP, this is a key concept for you to understand:  the offers you are getting come from the marketing departments at the banks, but the approvals come from the lending departments, so never assume that the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

YouTubers on CC's is cringeworthy at best. I much prefer it here. 

There are a few types: 

1. Guy who titles video as secrets/hacks/tricks and clings to such elementary, high-level common sense that your grandparents would give. 

2. Guy who is just plain wrong. Conjecture, opinion, speculation, advice too colored by past traumatic experiences. 

3. Guy who obsesses about the wrong things "missing the point" of the very specific self-help title that he wrote himself. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

OP, this is a key concept for you to understand:  the offers you are getting come from the marketing departments at the banks, but the approvals come from the lending departments, so never assume that the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

That's an interesting concept that I wasn't aware of, even though it makes sense. Thank you for pointing that out.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: Called up the customer support number listed on the website for credit cards and asked if it was possible to be accepted and explained my situation. I was told that it was not impossible but that they could not give me a definitive answer.

Felt ballsy with my credit scores being useless to me for any major applications outside of credit cards (just recently refi'd my student loans), so I pulled the trigger. Was met with a disapproval, but received a letter in the mail today letting me know that I need to provide evidence of my gross income. Hopefully sending them proof (I reported accurately) will get me accepted. Wish me luck!

Message 9 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

YouTubers on CC's is cringeworthy at best. I much prefer it here. 

There are a few types: 

1. Guy who titles video as secrets/hacks/tricks and clings to such elementary, high-level common sense that your grandparents would give. 

2. Guy who is just plain wrong. Conjecture, opinion, speculation, advice too colored by past tramatic experiences. 

3. Guy who obsesses about the wrong things "missing the point" of the very specific self-help title that he wrote himself. 

It's not just guys, there are women in the game as well.   The vast majority of them distill further down to a single type:  revenue generators directly through YouTube account monetizaton and in some cases indirectly by using the videos to promote their outside business interests.

More views translates to more revenue from YouTube.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.