Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spg...what should I do?

tag
bobbay
Established Contributor

Spg...what should I do?

I have this card and never use it. It only has a $3k limit and a zero balance I have both Marriott card and Ritz cards currently and never use Marriott. I'm thinking of rolling Marriott to Ritz.

I would close it but the account (SPG) goes back to 1993 so I would like to keep the account history and find a spot for it to grow.  What should I do?

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Re: Spg...what should I do?

@bobbay wrote:

I have this card and never use it. It only has a $3k limit and a zero balance I have both Marriott card and Ritz cards currently and never use Marriott. I'm thinking of rolling Marriott to Ritz.

I would close it but the account (SPG) goes back to 1993 so I would like to keep the account history and find a spot for it to grow.  What should I do?

My question to you how many times in a year do you stay Ritz Carlton property? 

Message 2 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As of August 1st, you won't be able to combine elite night credits so quantity of cards isn't going to help.  The Marriott card will continue to give you a free night (up to 35,000 points rather than Cat 1-5) and the SPG will now, too.  If you feel you can get value out of the free nights (should be pretty easy), there's no sense in closing them.  When was the last time you asked for a CLI on the SPG?

Message 3 of 14
bobbay
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

As of August 1st, you won't be able to combine elite night credits so quantity of cards isn't going to help.  The Marriott card will continue to give you a free night (up to 35,000 points rather than Cat 1-5) and the SPG will now, too.  If you feel you can get value out of the free nights (should be pretty easy), there's no sense in closing them.  When was the last time you asked for a CLI on the SPG?

Maybe a year ago or more

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 4 of 14
bobbay
Established Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

@bobbay wrote:

Once per year. I plan to more as the kids are at the age that we are now traveling alone. My perks exceed the cost of the card and I get other rewards on other cards. 

Last app 03/12/17

Message 5 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@bobbay wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

...When was the last time you asked for a CLI on the SPG?

Maybe a year ago or more

If you already know about this, my apologies, but you can ask for a CLI up to 3x your current limit every 181 days (or 91 days after a denial) with American Express.  There's no hard pull inquiry, so there's nothing at all to lose by asking.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would hold on to the card just for the reward night. I think it would be worth it. Especially for a quick weekend getway. 

Message 7 of 14
bobbay
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@bobbay wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

...When was the last time you asked for a CLI on the SPG?

Maybe a year ago or more

If you already know about this, my apologies, but you can ask for a CLI up to 3x your current limit every 181 days (or 91 days after a denial) with American Express.  There's no hard pull inquiry, so there's nothing at all to lose by asking.

Amex has never granted me a cli.  Its easier to get a new card then combine the card than a cli.  I have considered moving bcp to spg to make the card a decent limit or to delta. They usually start me at 10-12k but spg was a low limit that never grew.  Ill give all the cards a cli round then figure out how to shuffle things around. 

Thanks!

Last app 03/12/17

Message 8 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That's strange; that sounds very much like Chase.  Usually with Amex if they're capping you really low on a card, they don't typically grant you large credit lines.  Interesting data point.  You mentioned a "CLI round."  Keep in mind that Amex only allows one CLI among all cards you have every 181 days.  So if you get a CLI on one card, you can't receive a CLI on any of your cards for a minimum of 181 days, and if you're denied a CLI on any card you can't get a CLI on any of your cards for a minimum of 91 days.  So a round of CLIs with three revolving cards would take at least 6 months if all were denied, and a few days short of a year if they were all approved.

Message 9 of 14
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

@bobbay wrote:

Once per year. I plan to more as the kids are at the age that we are now traveling alone. My perks exceed the cost of the card and I get other rewards on other cards. 

Seeing that you only stay once a year right now I would move the credit limit from the Ritz Carlton over to the Marriott credit card.  That way you still get the 15 elite night credit  every year and you get the one free night certificate.  

One more question how you utilize in a $300 travel credit and what is your current annual fee on the Ritz Carlton Card? 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.