Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiking Utilization to Trigger Targeted Offers

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Spiking Utilization to Trigger Targeted Offers

@CreditScholar wrote:

How many new cards have you had with them recently? And I agree with not pushing Chase.

Along with Amex, they're the other lender any heavy spender/rewards enthusiast simply cannot afford to lose. All other lenders are expendable (some moreso than others).

I've gotten in the past couple of years:  (1) CSP; (2) UA Explorer; (3) Southwest Rapid Rewards; (4) JPM Ritz; (5) Ink Bold; (6) and, Ink Plus.  

For the Ink Bold, I called for recon and noticed some resistance from the analyst resulting in a triple pull before approval.  And, finally, on the Ink Plus, I decided not to recon, and was approved after 7 or 8 days pending review.  

I agree that for my purposes, I can ill afford to alienate either Chase or Amex.  Losing Chase or Amex would take all the fun out of this game; matter of fact, if I lost both of them, I'd just stop playing and "take my ball and go home" as they say.

Message 11 of 28
Contributor

I've never had any sort of targeted offer. Maybe the fact that I'm 19 has something to do with it.

At this point I'd honestly be worried to spike my util considering all the new accounts I just opened. But for someone with a thicker file, it might be worth a shot.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 12 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

How many new cards have you had with them recently? And I agree with not pushing Chase.

Along with Amex, they're the other lender any heavy spender/rewards enthusiast simply cannot afford to lose. All other lenders are expendable (some moreso than others).

I've gotten in the past couple of years:  (1) CSP; (2) UA Explorer; (3) Southwest Rapid Rewards; (4) JPM Ritz; (5) Ink Bold; (6) and, Ink Plus.  

For the Ink Bold, I called for recon and noticed some resistance from the analyst resulting in a triple pull before approval.  And, finally, on the Ink Plus, I decided not to recon, and was approved after 7 or 8 days pending review.  

I agree that for my purposes, I can ill afford to alienate either Chase or Amex.  Losing Chase or Amex would take all the fun out of this game; matter of fact, if I lost both of them, I'd just stop playing and "take my ball and go home" as they say.

I think you're wise to stop while you're ahead, especially given your experiences with the Ink applications. If you give it another year or so, you'll probably be able to apply for more once things have 'cooled off' a bit. I'm not sure if they'll ask you to re-allocate some of your lines if you go for a 7th.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I think you're wise to stop while you're ahead, especially given your experiences with the Ink applications. If you give it another year or so, you'll probably be able to apply for more once things have 'cooled off' a bit. I'm not sure if they'll ask you to re-allocate some of your lines if you go for a 7th.

I'm definitely not going for a 7th.  LOL

Also, with every relationship, there always has to be an element of reciprocity.  Since Chase has extended me the courtesy of approving all of these sign-up bonuses (they certainly didn't have to approve the last Ink Plus for 60k, but did so anyway), I should at least keep the Ritz Card and use it as intended.  And, it really is a very good card with tons of benefits.

Initially, I was concerned having a rewards program would devalue the Ritz hotels, but it seems if Marriott is making an effort to keep that from happening too quickly.

Message 14 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Also, with every relationship, there always has to be an element of reciprocity.  Since Chase has extended me the courtesy of approving all of these sign-up bonuses (they certainly didn't have to approve the last Ink Plus for 60k, but did so anyway), I should at least keep the Ritz Card and use it as intended.  And, it really is a very good card with tons of benefits.

Initially, I was concerned having a rewards program would devalue the Ritz hotels, but it seems if Marriott is making an effort to keep that from happening too quickly.

I think this is the rationale behind keeping the RCR and MR programs officilally seperate, even though in essence they're the same program minus some differences in quarterly promotions.

The other thing that they've (smartly) done is to keep the redemption costs extremely high for RC properties. At 30-70k per night, most people will see that as an inefficient use of points and therefore will opt to use them at Marriott properties instead. Those who remain undeterred by the cost (in points or dollars) will continue to frequent the Ritz regardless of whatever program it offers, and these are the kinds of guests they're likely aiming for anyways.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Have you had much experience with Amex FHR? I noticed they're currently running a 4th night free offer at the Ritz in Tokyo. I'm wondering what would be the better option: booking through FHR (and getting the 4th night free) or with the Ritz card and using a club upgrade? Last I checked that last night was running for about $480 plus taxes.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 16 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Have you had much experience with Amex FHR? I noticed they're currently running a 4th night free offer at the Ritz in Tokyo. I'm wondering what would be the better option: booking through FHR (and getting the 4th night free) or with the Ritz card and using a club upgrade? Last I checked that last night was running for about $480 plus taxes.

Usually, the FHR rates are more expensive than you can find elsewhere, which doesn't make up for the perks.  However, there are exceptions, such as the Ritz.  

Normally, Ritz rates aren't discounted, and for full rates, the FHRs 4th night free, afternoon tea for 2, and other promos can make a lot of sense.  This is especially true for those Ritz's that refuse to participate in the Ritz program and refuse to honor the "club" upgrades.  As I recall, Tokyo isn't one of them.  If this is still true, depending on the seasonal pricing, I'd say you'll probably get a better deal with the Ritz cards' extra perks.

Message 17 of 28
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Great, now I am freaked out. In the past year I have gotten the Ink Cash, CSP, Ink Bold, Priority Club and recently the Ink Plus. I really could use the Marriott as we have some business travel requiring stays at properties. Was considering it in 90 days but now I think I need to cool my jets a bit and give Chase 6 months of regular usage on all the cards then check for offers in branch. Have had pretty quick approvals and have not needed to horse trade limits but I'm sure that time is coming. 

+1 on not perturbing Chase or Amex. Citi to an extent until I see for myself how churnable the AA cards might be. 

Message 18 of 28
bribro
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@bribro wrote:

As a general rule, I like to keep my individual and aggregate credit utilization under 10-20%, since you never know when you'll want/need to apply for credit. However, I've always wondered if having large spikes in usage/utilization might increase your likelihood of receiving targeted offers. I suspect the answer is yes, although it may not trigger the types of offers you want (e.g. 0% APR balance transfers offers instead of extra bonus point offers).

Anyone have any insight?

I get quite a few targeted offers (including some very large/big ones), and my util is around where yours is. I rarely apply for new cards though, so I'm not sure if the stability of my credit profile is playing a role or not.

I do charge a fair bit and always PIF after the statement cuts, not before (unless I'm trying to drop my util the month before a planned app). That may make my util appear higher than it actually is at any given time.

Have you received any good targeted offers recently? I've been in a bit of dry spell lately (all year it seems), but can't complain since I've been getting Chase cards where the public offers are better than most targeted offers out there.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 19 of 28
bribro
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Great, now I am freaked out. In the past year I have gotten the Ink Cash, CSP, Ink Bold, Priority Club and recently the Ink Plus. I really could use the Marriott as we have some business travel requiring stays at properties. Was considering it in 90 days but now I think I need to cool my jets a bit and give Chase 6 months of regular usage on all the cards then check for offers in branch. Have had pretty quick approvals and have not needed to horse trade limits but I'm sure that time is coming. 

+1 on not perturbing Chase or Amex. Citi to an extent until I see for myself how churnable the AA cards might be. 

I too faced some resistance in getting my 7th JPMC card, an Ink Plus with the 60k offer a couple of weeks back. A lot of resistance actually. I called into recon since my app decision was pending and after a fairly lengthy "interview," where I felt that I said all the right things, I was declined. I'm pretty good on the phone, but the analyst kept saying no because I've applied for too many cards recently (3 in the last year, and another 3 shortly thereafter). I eventually asked to speak to her supervisor and pulled rank by referencing my J.P. Morgan Private Bank relationship to get the approval; otherwise it would be been my first credit rejection.

I will wait at least 8 months (when my first 3 JPMC cards will reach 2 years of age) before applying for anything else. Slow and steady wins the race...

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.