Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Sport'sman's Guide Visa Shop. Cart Trick--Question

...just don't do what I did, and have the pop up blocker on.Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 41
jk26978
Regular Contributor

Re: Sport'sman's Guide Visa Shop. Cart Trick--Question

I actually received the pop up, I am just worried now because I closed out the page - just hope that it will pop up again....I think that I will go for it if I get the pop up again at home this evening as it did say Visa and other than the Discove all I have are M/C - which I think I will close out 2 of them after the first of the year.  They are both Cap One, one was transitioned over from Household - $305.00 CL, the other is the credit steps at $750.00.  I may keep the 3rd Cap One, was my first and has a limit of $1500.00 and 16.9%, does have the annual fee however but still it is $1500...that would then put me with Discover 1500, Cap one 1500 and the Best Buy store card (now Citi) with $1530.00.  This way maybe later on next year after my scores recover a little from another app, I should not be in too bad of shape.  Over all only owe 500.00 total, which will be down to a little under 400 after next week.

Oh well....this rebuilding stage can get to a person......

Just keep smiling I guess....it's all I can do - BUT - I AM Getting There!

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 12 of 41
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

iRe: Sport'sman's Guide Visa Shop. Cart Trick--Question

Well I must be the only one this DID NOT work for. After stuffing $800 worth of items in my basket, all it asked me was "how do you want to pay?" LOL Congrats to every one else.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 13 of 41
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: iRe: Sport'sman's Guide Visa Shop. Cart Trick--Question

Sorry it didn't work out OP.  You may try this at some point in the future.  Not every Comenity-backed card will provide a pre-approval for everyone - just the way things work when it comes to elegibility.  Some folks will try and try and try until it eventually provides positive results, which in most cases would translate into your CR profile becoming favorable to be offered such pre-approval.  On the upside, you received the pre-approval for J.Crew... the question would be, would you use it frequently to sacrifice AAoA?

Message 14 of 41
jk26978
Regular Contributor

+1 - I can get Express and one other, however, I would not use them, so would be a wasted trade line for me....I have tried unsuccessfully however for the VS card for pretty much this whole year and a NO GO every time...who knows what their criteria is

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 15 of 41
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Well I must be the only one this DID NOT work for. After stuffing $800 worth of items in my basket, all it asked me was "how do you want to pay?" LOL Congrats to every one else.

It doesn't work for me, either.  Maybe I should have stuffed more things in my cart.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 16 of 41
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Fin Star: It's probably for the better I wasn't given the SG pop-up b/c I would have taken it in a minute, and at this point with 7 fairly new TL's I gotta be kinda careful about what I apply for or accept. I probably wouldn't have used J Crew that much-if at all, thats the reason I passed on it-on the other hand if they had their own Visa, MC, or AMEX based card I would have taken it in a minute in hopes of a PC later. That's why even though I absol. don't need another card right now, I'm still VERY STRONGLY considering Macy's-so I can try for the Macy's AMEX later w/o a HP. There's one about 10 min. from my house, and they do have 1 or 2 houseware items I could use.

BUSINESS
Message 17 of 41
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@Fin Star: It's probably for the better I wasn't given the SG pop-up b/c I would have taken it in a minute, and at this point with 7 fairly new TL's I gotta be kinda careful about what I apply for or accept. I probably wouldn't have used J Crew that much-if at all, thats the reason I passed on it-on the other hand if they had their own Visa, MC, or AMEX based card I would have taken it in a minute in hopes of a PC later. That's why even though I absol. don't need another card right now, I'm still VERY STRONGLY considering Macy's-so I can try for the Macy's AMEX later w/o a HP. There's one about 10 min. from my house, and they do have 1 or 2 houseware items I could use.

I would agree... although no HP with J.Crew if accepted, a new TL would've been added; which could sway the Macy's approval depending on other recent new accounts you've recently established.  I have the Macy's Preferred AMEX and love it - never had any issues.  Plus, just got a new Breville Juicer last week since my old one died.  We have 5 Macy stores around my area so it was easy to get what I wanted, all within 10 minutes and saved 30% during ther Kitchen & Electrics sale during Labor Day weekend.  If you shop Macy's more frequently than J.Crew, then to me it's worth getting the Macy's card instead.  Who knows, maybe your profile may be decent at the time you apply (depending when you do this) and may qualify for the Macy's AMEX straight out!

Message 18 of 41
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

When I was in there inquiring about their app. procedure the other day, the cashier said when you apply, they ask you to select one or the other to apply for. And since I was just denied for AMEX PRG a week ago, she suggest I don't try for that one. But I know what you mean. Sometimes if you app for the Visa, MC, or AMEX and don't qualify, you may be offered the store card instead. That's what happend to me with Best Buy, Pay Pal, and Wal-Mart.

BUSINESS
Message 19 of 41
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

When I was in there inquiring about their app. procedure the other day, the cashier said when you apply, they ask you to select one or the other to apply for. And since I was just denied for AMEX PRG a week ago, she suggest I don't try for that one. But I know what you mean. Sometimes if you app for the Visa, MC, or AMEX and don't qualify, you may be offered the store card instead. That's what happend to me with Best Buy, Pay Pal, and Wal-Mart.

Well, sometimes the store associates may not be that well-versed with the whole credit process like most of the folks on these forums or those who are credit-savvy.  However, when you decide to appy, if you want the Macy's AMEX, select that option on the screen.  Also, from Macy's u/w sources, for optimal results to qualify for the Macy's AMEX, one would need a fairly clean/established CR profile, scores north of 700, and not too many recent accounts opened or high number of inquiries.  AFAIK, they primarily pull EX (TU as alternate).  Since the elegibility/approval is not reliant on Centurion Bank (issuer of the actual AMEX cards), the decision is independently underwritten by DSNB, a subsidiary of Citi.  So, getting this one will not have any effect in getting the AMEX PRG in the future.

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.