Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starbucks Visa - Wait What?

tag
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

Starbucks Visa - Wait What?

Today during my regular routine to Starbucks and right after scanning through the Starbuck app, noticed a prompt inviting me to apply for Starbuck Visa card.   My first question: When in the world did Starbucks release this?   I don't intend on applying for this card but I thought it was interesting but in a way made sense considering what people spend on fancy coffee. 

Here's the fine print below - appears Chase is the Bank behind the curtains:    "Starbucks Rewards credit cards are issued by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Member FDIC. Offer subject to change."

StarBucksVisa.png

9 REPLIES 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Starbucks Visa - Wait What?

Why wait?

Because Chase won't approve with BK on file.

Also, because its a horrible card 

It was released maybe three years ago, a few giggles happened, and I think I've seen 3 applications for this card (which is three too many)

Message 2 of 10
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Why wait?

Because Chase won't approve with BK on file.

Also, because its a horrible card 

It was released maybe three years ago, a few giggles happened, and I think I've seen 3 applications for this card (which is three too many)

+1. 

To anyone considering it, I would suggest a far more impactful (and delicious) way to save money on coffee: https://aeropress.com/ 

Message 3 of 10
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

Wait, what? Like surprise. Anyway good points on this card not being worthy. FWIW my Chase Freedom is almost always listing a 5% offer you can add.  I've had it with AMEX BCE before as well.  For those looking to get a little more bang for their BUCK haha 😂 

Message 4 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

If you read more of the fine print on how you earn Stars, if you already use a Starbucks gift card in the app, and reload that gift card to keep using it in the app, you are earning two Stars on each dollar already. I think this card adds another Star, when you use the Chase Starbucks card to reload your Starbucks gift card then you still get ... two Stars per dollar in the app.  

Full disclosure, I use a reloaded gift card in the Starbucks app, use the Chase offers on my various cards for the 5% ( up to $1.50 back so $30 reload per offer ), and frequently chase the Stars offers for ordering certain items over several days. Then we use Stars to get an over priced pastry, which helps me think the Stars are worth a lot, and encourages me to buy more Starbucks Smiley Happy  Their coffee is much better than what I am able to make, so I'm happy with this arrangement. 

I also see the ad in the Starbucks app to apply for the Chase Starbucks card, its there now.

Reviewing the terms, $49 AF after the first year? Half a Star per dollar on groceries? A quarter of a Star on general spend? That's like 0.6 cents per dollar return. On an AF card!!  That's really bad.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 10
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Seriously one of the worse CCs out there maybe right next to the $9/month Credit One! At least the Cr1 is a rebuilder card.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 10
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

This card has been out for a few years. Several years ago it was called the Duetto Card and probably had as much publicity as this one. I'm a coffee drinker, but I will pass on this b/c of the AF and I don't think the earning is the great, at least for me. 

Not a whole lot of DPs on this card as it's just not all that popular. 

JR
Message 7 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

If you want a discount at starbucks just use the red card at the in target store starbucks, 5 percent off

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 8 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, a good dining card would probably better for anyone except true Starbucks addicts.  Plus, my regular cards frequently get spend offers for Starbucks.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 10
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Yeah, I got to Starbucks a lot. I am addicted to nitro cold brews. Anyway, I find the best way to get rewards is use the app, opt in to any star offers they give you, always relaod your Starbucks card in the app instead of paying in store with a card, and use a dining card for the Starbucks card reloads. My usual cup is about $6. I get two stars per dollar and it takes 150 stars to get a free one. That means I need to buy 12.5 cups to get a free coffe using this base earn rate. 2 stars is equivalent to about 8% cash back. Then I'll use my Cap1 Savor One for 3% cash back, which makes it closer to 11%. I do get offers on my other cards sometimes (BB&T & AmEx most often). Of course, what you buy at Starbucks and what you redeem for is going to confuse calculations, along with the occasional disocunts or bonus stars they give you. I think their rewards program is pretty good, all things considered. They do try to trick you into going more often than you usually would or buying extra stuff you don't need, which I find pretty annoying. But sometimes, they want you to go at about your normal pace and buy your usual coffee to earn bonus stars, which is fine, IMO.

I think if you got the Starbucks Visa and were getting 3 stars back, you could be closer to 12%, but that does not account for the annual fee. That means most dining cards are coming out ahead.They really need to do 2 additional stars (16%) on top of the 2 stars for gift card reloads to make this card worthwhile. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.