cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Started working 1 month ago. Can I apply for a credit card?

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

Started working 1 month ago. Can I apply for a credit card?

My wife started working 1 month ago. She has been off work for 4 months. I know that some jobs report to credit agencies that you work. She wants to apply for Chase Freedom Unlimited. Last year in August she got CSR. Her current income is high 6 figures. She is 1/24 and her credit score is 720 with no baddies.
We both have joint Chase checking account and the direct deposits from both of us get there. But Chase is notorious for left hand not knowing what right hand does while its head is in the %*%%*.
What do you guys think? Should she pull the trigger on CFU or wait? We already had two of her direct deposits.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Started working 1 month ago. Can I apply for a credit card?

I don't see any reason why she wouldn't be approved.

Message 2 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Green456 wrote:
My wife started working 1 month ago. She has been off work for 4 months. I know that some jobs report to credit agencies that you work. She wants to apply for Chase Freedom Unlimited. Last year in August she got CSR. Her current income is high 6 figures. She is 1/24 and her credit score is 720 with no baddies.
We both have joint Chase checking account and the direct deposits from both of us get there. But Chase is notorious for left hand not knowing what right hand does while its head is in the %*%%*.
What do you guys think? Should she pull the trigger on CFU or wait? We already had two of her direct deposits.

Can you elaborate on the bolded statement?   If she qualified and was approved for CSR last year, then what does that mean, specifically?  If you know or feel this way about a particular lender, would you entertain the idea of even applying? 

Otherwise, if she wants to pull the trigger, your wife can also visit a branch to determine whether she has any pre-approved offers. 

Message 3 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

Can you elaborate on the bolded statement?   If she qualified and was approved for CSR last year, then what does that mean, specifically?  If you know or feel this way about a particular lender, would you entertain the idea of even applying? 

Otherwise, if she wants to pull the trigger, your wife can also visit a branch to determine whether she has any pre-approved offers. 

Chase's different department don't communicate with or influence each other.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can always try to see if you prequalify for the chase freedom card.

https://www.chase.com/prequalified

good luck

Message 5 of 13
dssgaffler
Valued Member

'Her current income is high 6 figures'.     Sounds to me like she can do whatever she wants.

Discover IT $25k | AMEX BCP $25k | PenFed Power Cash $25k | Citi DC $25k | US Bank Cash+ $25k | Chase Amazon $25k | BofA CCR $25k | WF $25k |Chase Freedom $23k |Citi CC $19k | UMB $18k
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I retired a few years ago (and there was lots less creditt info available online than there is now), I worried if I'd be cut off from new credit. 

It was no problem at all. Even places that ask for employment information are not calling your employer and verifying your income. Most of credit card approval is based on your history with credit. In the US, I've never had a job, never earned a cent except in credit card rewards and never paid tax or rent/mortgage. Never stopped me from getting credit.

Message 7 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Title is a bit weird for a person making 6 figures and already has a CSRSmiley Wink. I expected to see a newb asking about their first job🥴
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally speaking a gap in Employment only hinders employment, as they're curious to know why you were jobless for so long.

As for credit, it would only cause an issue with Auto Loans. As they want to see steady employment, usually at least 6 months.

The only other problem mey be if they want IV, and there isn't any docs available yet. But all this is a cross that bridge when you get there scenario. As it all can be explained.

Message 9 of 13
Green456
Established Contributor

@dssgaffler wrote:

'Her current income is high 6 figures'.     Sounds to me like she can do whatever she wants.

That's not true. Penfed denied me 2 years ago with $200,000 income, 780 credit score, no baddies. The reason was high student debt. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.