Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting downgrades and closings to reduce Annual Fees

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Starting downgrades and closings to reduce Annual Fees

@Anonymous wrote:

Your undertaking is notable! My problem is culling the herd and having withdrawal afterwords. Need to drop a few more cards but, I am wrestling with the withdrawal. Smiley Sad

I told my GF, "I gave away $43,000!!" by closing the BofA card.

But of course, it isn't really any sort of money, it's just pretend. Until you load it up, then it's serious debt.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 31 of 46
NRB525
Super Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

Both BofA and PenFed will keep drawing out that monthly autopayment amount, so the cards don't work well in the SD.

Hi, can you please expand on this - if a penfed card has a $0 balance penfed will still take the min payment out or they will turn off the autopay feature or what exactly?  thank you

LTL says PenFed won't keep drawing it out, so there's probably a way to do that. The few times I finished up a BT, and didn't change my autopay amount, it looked like they were planning to go to perpetuity. I could be wrong, maybe there was some setup I didn't have just right in the autopay request which could make it more reasonable. I won't be finding out Smiley Happy

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 32 of 46
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Both BofA and PenFed will keep drawing out that monthly autopayment amount, so the cards don't work well in the SD.

Hi, can you please expand on this - if a penfed card has a $0 balance penfed will still take the min payment out or they will turn off the autopay feature or what exactly?  thank you

LTL says PenFed won't keep drawing it out, so there's probably a way to do that. The few times I finished up a BT, and didn't change my autopay amount, it looked like they were planning to go to perpetuity. I could be wrong, maybe there was some setup I didn't have just right in the autopay request which could make it more reasonable. I won't be finding out Smiley Happy

thank you.  didn't notice,  do you use biz cards and what is your main form of reward on cards?

Message 33 of 46
NRB525
Super Contributor

My rewards points are scattered. Many are from SUB or Upgrade bonuses. I earn some points from business travel, but I am an employee so no business cards (except Corp AMEX).

We are using up AA miles, Alaska, some United, but I haven’t used much of my 200k Delta miles. That may get some good redemption later, but at 1.2cpp it’s pretty well stable, and I have Silver status on Delta. So by using the United, AA and Alaska miles, it’s burning them as not favored.

We have 250k or so of Marriott points, and a nice boatload of Hilton points for another high value stay somewhere. Moved some UR and had Hyatt points which are being applied to a trip later this year at Hyatt.

I am building MR points, drawing down UR points, and Diners points are used for filler here and there.

We don’t use points on all stays, because a lot of the time the redemption is not good, so I’d rather build up for better rates / higher value. So we do pay a fair amount of cash for vacations but try to get good bargains for that cash.
Message 34 of 46
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

looks amazing, lots of options.  I only have MR/UR but if i was going to do a carrier it would be delta because of af/klm.  the af lounges @cdg are really great imo.  leaving for cdg on 9/23, just hoping they get the centurion open @ lax by then but I guess that is a pipe dream at this point.

Message 35 of 46
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Interested to see what you come up with.

I was once again shaking my head at the amount of tradelines I have and while I am still irritated at myself to have left a hardcore FICO optimization mess with those dumb lates on EQ/TU I realized I can’t even find all my credit cards currently. Buyer’s remorse I suppose for just taking two SUB’s which were just hanging out and easy to snatch... still hasn’t materially changed my spending pattern and now I find myself having to look up whether SF hotels are Marriot or not before booking, sigh. Two nights at Park Central last week which depending how Hotel Tonight went through might have triggered the credit on the Brilliant.

May have tried to get too cute Smiley Wink

        
Message 36 of 46
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I was once again shaking my head at the amount of tradelines I have and while I am still irritated at myself to have left a hardcore FICO optimization mess with those dumb lates on EQ/TU I realized I can’t even find all my credit cards currently. Buyer’s remorse I suppose for just taking two SUB’s which were just hanging out and easy to snatch... still hasn’t materially changed my spending pattern and now I find myself having to look up whether SF hotels are Marriot or not before booking, sigh. Two nights at Park Central last week which depending how Hotel Tonight went through might have triggered the credit on the Brilliant.

Yes, that is an area I am getting too far out on a limb: "Travel Credits". Cards like the AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant with the AMEX Platinum, doesn't make much sense. The annual "free night" is nice but it boxes me in to pre-spending the $450 to get it back.

Three sets of AMEX Airline credits is ridiculous also. So far I've been able to get some of it back, but that was with two Airline Credits.

A week ago we used the Hilton free night in SF to go see Hamilton on a weekend trip to the city. Used free nights from our two Marriott cards, along with points, to go to Whistler in March. That's the other side of the "prepaid travel", it can be quite useful in situations to get a person out the door to experience the world.

Message 37 of 46
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I'd keep the PenFed and close both Capital One cards and the Discover card.

This is PenFed Promise. The only feature for it is balance transfers for 4.99% rate. Discover has that, along with 5% on categories. The BECU no-rewards effectively replaces PenFed, and I don't see myself taking any other borrowings on PenFed, so that closes two accounts (CC + Savings). The CapOne Savor, I'm getting good rewards on the Entertainment, including Vivid Tickets 8%, and ski lift tickets 4%. For a while that will be interesting.

PenFed Power Cash Rewards is a good card in your lineup, as part of the simple, effective strategy, so it makes a lot of sense there.

Actually I have both the Promise and the Power Cash.  Like you, I had a Promise with a large credit limit that was going unused.  I applied for the Power Cash, and they gave me a $5,000 limit, too small for a daily driver.  I called them up and asked them to reallocate half of the credit limit from Promise to Power Cash.  They agreed to do it but made a hard pull in the process.  I didn't mind the hard pull because I have so few of them.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 38 of 46
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Yes, that is an area I am getting too far out on a limb: "Travel Credits". Cards like the AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant with the AMEX Platinum, doesn't make much sense. The annual "free night" is nice but it boxes me in to pre-spending the $450 to get it back.

Three sets of AMEX Airline credits is ridiculous also. So far I've been able to get some of it back, but that was with two Airline Credits.

A week ago we used the Hilton free night in SF to go see Hamilton on a weekend trip to the city. Used free nights from our two Marriott cards, along with points, to go to Whistler in March. That's the other side of the "prepaid travel", it can be quite useful in situations to get a person out the door to experience the world.

That's another good point actually.  

I really enjoyed my work trip to Asia in 2017; I was working sure, but I had time to get out and experience some things and I'll never look at life quite the same again.

I don't have millions of points but I am accumulating them far quicker than I'm spending them; maybe when the economy finally tanks and all my gigs fall apart I'll just go see how far my English and extremely limited Spanish and French can get me travelling around the EU for a bit just because I can and I suspect I can probably do it cheaply... unless school is coming up on a session start boundary that I can leverage for doing anything else haha.

        
Message 39 of 46
NRB525
Super Contributor

AF on the Delta Reserve hit a few days ago. $450 I could use elsewhere. I had added AMEX Platinum in mid-2019 on the Corporate Advantage program, so at $400 net AF that covers nearly all of the Delta Reserve benefits. The Companion Certificate we are using on a first class flight, but each of those seats is only ~$500 so not much marginal benefit. I did use the Reserve in 2018 a lot for Delta SkyClub access, so no regrets about getting it. 

No retention offer was made, and I let the CL of $20k+ go, as I'm sure I could add to either Hilton Aspire or Marriott if I really wanted to. 

Delta Gold was my first AMEX ( excluding the Gold I had in the late 1980's ) and I have gone through a couple sets of D Gold, D Platinum and D Reserve, so this is the first recent time I haven't had a direct Delta AMEX. I will survive   Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.