Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out with Capital One Plat Secured

tag
rubicon
Regular Contributor

Starting out with Capital One Plat Secured

Hi guys. First I want to say this forum is OUTSTANDING. I have gotten to the point where I read through it for FUN! I'm starting out with this Plat Cap One Secured card as my ONLY card with a $300 CL. I want to ask a few things:

1.  What have other people experienced in terms of a FICO increase when their card reported on their credit reports?
  2.  Should I expect to see this new credit line impact my FICO ONLY after the first billing cycle?
  3.  Does anyone recommend that I apply for another secured card with them now or within a few months and if so which?
  4.  Does anyone have a recommendation of a path to follow in upgrading through Capital One's card offering? For example - 1st get Plat Secured then 2nd go for QS1 3rd go for SQ etc?

Thank you guys in advance!!

Starting FICO: 5/19/16 EX-586, EQ-555, TU-545
FICO 7/22/16 EX-652, EQ-636, TU-589
FICO 8/22/16 EX-659 EQ-628 TU-612
FICO 10/27/20 EX-687, EQ-664, TU-672
FICO 6/14/23 EX-707 EQ-698 TU-712
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting out with Capital One Plat Secured

Congrats on the new card!

It should begin appearing on your reports in the next 30-60 days, at the latest.

Capital One will limit you when you are in their rebuilder product line... you will only be allowed to have two accounts, the secured one you have now, and then one more (QS1, Plat unsecured, etc).  Anecdotally, some folks have three, but that is not the norm and so you can't count on it happening for you.

That being said, you are not too far from the minumum scores for both the Platinum unsecured and the QS1.

If you keep your payment history with the secured one clean, and work on getting your scores a few points higher,  you should qualify for one or the other of the unsecured rebuilder products.  Once you do that, I'd pay off the secured card's balance and close it, then open the other of the unsecured rebuilders.  Then you're on track for all fo the PC and combining methods you see discussed at length here on the forum.

The secured card will eventually come up for one, single, solitary CL increase - but you may not even need to wait for that to happen to transfer yourself into the unsecured cards.  The secured cards with Capital One never graduate into unsecured ones, and after that initial credit line increase, they're stuck.  It's better to close it once your scores and history allow you into unsecured products, and use those to grow your credit file.

Message 2 of 4
rubicon
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response...here is what I've gathered as my roadmap

1. Plat Secured is my starting point <---this is where I'm at
  2. Next step would be apply for Plat unsecured or QS1 as I get my scores up a bit. 
  3. Next step is to close my Plat Secured and apply for whichever of the Plat unsecured or QS1 cards I don't already have
  4. Then will look into the PC and combining methods

I appreciate your response Smiley Happy

Starting FICO: 5/19/16 EX-586, EQ-555, TU-545
FICO 7/22/16 EX-652, EQ-636, TU-589
FICO 8/22/16 EX-659 EQ-628 TU-612
FICO 10/27/20 EX-687, EQ-664, TU-672
FICO 6/14/23 EX-707 EQ-698 TU-712
Message 3 of 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@rubicon wrote:

Thanks for the response...here is what I've gathered as my roadmap

1. Plat Secured is my starting point <---this is where I'm at
  2. Next step would be apply for Plat unsecured or QS1 as I get my scores up a bit. 
  3. Next step is to close my Plat Secured and apply for whichever of the Plat unsecured or QS1 cards I don't already have
  4. Then will look into the PC and combining methods

I appreciate your response Smiley Happy

It looks to me like you have a plan for success!  Smiley Very Happy

I was where you are not that long ago... stick with the plan you've made and you'll have good scores and cards before you know it.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.