Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting out!

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Starting out!

You are not going to get Discover or Citi Forward with no credit history.  You should be applying for student cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 21 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also in addition, "Keep balances low (1-9% util) on credit cards and other revolving credit. High outstanding debt can affect a score." is a tip on a thread here Credit Score 101 what exactly does this mean? I plan on paying balance in full 1 week early. Is this what most people do? 

JSU thanks for your reply! Is JSU jacksonville or Jackson State?

Message 22 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveSignal wrote:

You are not going to get Discover or Citi Forward with no credit history.  You should be applying for student cards.

I understand Dave however the applications had fields for school information and scholarship information I am sure I was applying for Student Discover and CITI.

Message 23 of 57
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Both discover and citi offer student versions of the forward and discover more card. They are just harder to get than normal student cards from lenders like cap1. 

Also rackham12, JSU are just my initials, i live in gainesville, not too far from j-ville. 

Message 24 of 57
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

ok sorry. 

Well.  credit is tricky.  You need good current revolving credit to get good revolving credit lines.   Since you are at a sub-prime stage, those are the cards you should be looking at.  With only 6 months positive history, its not that hard to move up to better cards.

If you can't get the student cards, get a secured card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 25 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well at least I have my foot in at Capital One. Was thrown a $750 CL Journey Students. I am on my way ya'll !

Message 26 of 57
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Just my two cents, but before I got my first CC (which is from Capital One by the way), all lenders I apply to denied me. This includes,

* Discover

* Chase

* Citi

* Wells Fargo (which I have deposit accounts with them btw)

* GE/Lowe's

All these lenders citied insufficient credit card history to be denial reason. Capital One on the other hand approved me instantly with $500 CL. My second card, Citi Forward Student, required a recon for approval.

Message 27 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all! Looks like I'll be making a phone call on Monday. Any tips for Capital One since I have already been approved for that one?

Thanks Trumpet!

Message 28 of 57
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well at least I have my foot in at Capital One. Was thrown a $750 CL Journey Students. I am on my way ya'll !

Congrats, while 750 might seem like a small amount compared to some of the threads you see here, you have to start somewhere, and one thing cap1 IS good about is paying balances mid-cycle. If you find you're nearing your limit, you can pay before your statement, and your available credit will free back up within 1-2 days. 

Message 29 of 57
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Definitely call ALL rejections on Monday during business hours and ask if they require additional information to process your application.

You should now apply for the Cap1 Journey card.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 30 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.