cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting to rethink getting the US cash + after over a yr of waiting for it 😞

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting to rethink getting the US cash + after over a yr of waiting for it 😞

@Fated4Credit wrote:
@kdm31091: Yes I agree, however its just alittle disappointing in anticipating getting the card just to get cold feet when I finally decided to do it. I've only apped 4 times in the last 3 yrs, the last time being June 2019 for the CFU & PPMC & the time before that I was in the garden for 18 months, so for me to decide on a card I have to be sure that its a keeper. I also plan to close my deadweight Cap 1 card in December so this is kinda like a replacement of sorts. On the bright side I'm also looking into getting the Penfed Powercash card when I app for membership so wanted to again kill 2 birds with one stone. So even without the Cash+ I'd like to think that my time in the garden isn't completely in vain

Hi there, I can't help with any of your other questions- but I wanted to chime in and state that PenFed is no longer a hard inquiry for membership.

Message 11 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Starting to rethink getting the US cash + after over a yr of waiting for it 😞

@longtimelurker wrote:

@chiefone4u wrote:

@

While I do not know if Con Edison will count for 5%, I would imagine it does. If they are coded with Visa as power company it will count. 

As for Verizon Fios, awhile back someone reported it counts as Cellular Telephone which is also a 5% category. 

When we added CenturyLink and Avista (phone and power company) neither were listed but both get the 5%.

Yes, those listed are just examples.   Fios is more variable though:  @K-in-Boston reported it came up as "Calls Placed Through the Use of Magnetic Stripe Reading Telephones"" and didn't trigger 5%   It may vary on place and how you are billed (e.g. one verizon)

BTW: $500-600 a month isn't THAT far from maxing out $2000 a quarter

Correct.  At least with my own "Baby Bell" here in the city of Boston, both automatic billing and one-time payments for Verizon FIOS seem to code for an MCC that makes US Bank think I placed a $100+ call from the phone in the back of the headrest on a plane.  😂

For the Amex network, it however seems to code as wireless and has always triggered Amex Offers for wireless or Verizon Wireless specifically.  Currently getting the $20/month statement credit for wireless by having FIOS auto-billed to my personal Platinum Card.

Both Eversouce (electric and gas utility) and Boston Water and Sewer trigger the 5% utilities category.

Message 12 of 34
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

You should always app for cards that suit you best.  Usbank can be very conservative BUT once you are in, they tend to treat you well.  I have two Cash+ cards and love them.  Cable, Utilities and cell(Verizon) are easy cash back opportunities.  Good luck with your decision.

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 13 of 34
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I was recently faced with the same dilemma. I have been gardening for the Cash + for almost 10 months, but the AOD 3% unlimited came along. After doing the math, I stood to earn more with the AOD card. After getting it, I realized AOD doesn’t report to Transunion, so I thought I may be still ok to get the Cash +. Then NFCU sent me a targeted offer for a $400 SUB on the More Rewards card. Wanting to get in with Navy and knowing it would take a couple of years to make up the $400 difference (comparing the 5% for $2000 per quarter over my current 3% on everything) I decided to go Navy. NFCU gave me a $23.1K SL @ 9.65% which I’m sure is way better than US Bank would have done. So I’ll just wait a little longer!
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 14 of 34
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

Just a quick update: I'm not sure if I made things worse for myself I went ahead & applied but the think is even though my app was succesfully accepted they said ecpect a letter in 7-10 days. I thought for sure they would have pulled EQ but i was surprised when I got the alert from Experian saying the US bank attempted to pull my credit. I forgot to unlock Experian even though EQ was unlocked 🤦🤷 Did I just waste over a yr. for nothing? I know that they do manual reviews but how long does it take to get a pull on my report. Should I call them & explain the issue & have them try to pull my report again or wait it out & see what the letter says? I can't believe I forgot to unlock all 3 reports beforehand even though I was so sure that I would be okay with just EQ unlocked. 😩 

My stats are

Inquiries: EX 1, EQ 0, TU 2 all over 12 months

AAOA: 2 yrs 2 months

Last opened account June 2019

EX: 787, TU 790, EQ 776

UT 7% 

Cap 1: 0/1811

Discover 0/8100

PPMC: 1000/10k

CFU: 640/4400 (Was waiting for the chase to update to 0 to further lower my UT to 5% after paying it off yesterday but I got impatient smh)

No baddies or loans of any kind

Income 36000

I don't know but do u think I still have shot after my possible screw up?

Discover: $15,900
Cap One QS: $4811
CFU: $8,000
PPMC: $12,000
US Bank Cash+: $13,000
Penfed Powercash Rewards: $7,500
AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 15 of 34
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@Fated4Credit wrote:

Just a quick update: I'm not sure if I made things worse for myself I went ahead & applied but the think is even though my app was succesfully accepted they said ecpect a letter in 7-10 days. I thought for sure they would have pulled EQ but i was surprised when I got the alert from Experian saying the US bank attempted to pull my credit. I forgot to unlock Experian even though EQ was unlocked 🤦🤷 Did I just waste over a yr. for nothing? I know that they do manual reviews but how long does it take to get a pull on my report. Should I call them & explain the issue & have them try to pull my report again or wait it out & see what the letter says? I can't believe I forgot to unlock all 3 reports beforehand even though I was so sure that I would be okay with just EQ unlocked. 😩 

My stats are

UT 7% 

Discover 0/8100

CFU: 640/4400 (Was waiting for the chase to update to 0 to further lower my UT to 5% after paying it off yesterday but I got impatient smh)

Income 36000

I'm not sure if calling will result in a positive result or not but I am sure that calling gives you a much better chance at approval than just letting it sit!

Message 16 of 34
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

You're fine. At 0/12, I'd say your chances at getting the card are pretty good. 

[2/2019]
Message 17 of 34
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Fated4Credit wrote:

My stats are

UT 7% 

Discover 0/8100

Income 36000

If I was you I would unlock everything then call. No reason to wait for the letter since you know the letter will say "couldn't pull a credit report". Tell them you forgot to unlock your report but they can now do the pull.

Message 18 of 34
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

I did manage to speak with a rep. & explained the situation & she put me on hold to transfer me over to another department to at least tell me if my app was received & what my next steps are, but got disconnected. She did say that I was enrolled I guess in their system. The auto system then said check the status which I did & it said I wasn't approved 😟. There would be no reason for them to deny me other than my reports being locked, I would be shocked when I got the letter & the denial was for anything else. 

Also they said their business hrs were monday-friday from 9-5 ET time for the credit card department. I wouldn't be able to call due to my work hrs & the earliest I could call to settle this issue would be around Oct.7 when I have some time off if the letter doesn't arrive by then. This is a little frustrating especially after I've pondered about this card on & off for the past 3 yrs 

Discover: $15,900
Cap One QS: $4811
CFU: $8,000
PPMC: $12,000
US Bank Cash+: $13,000
Penfed Powercash Rewards: $7,500
AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 19 of 34
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Letter cannot be for anything else, they don't have your report to deny you for any reason other than being unable to pull your credit.

What's in their system is just what you put on the application, demographic info and income, nothing else. 

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.