Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starwood vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starwood vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

I have a CSP and I am about to use my points for travel. A friend recommended me to check out the Starwood AMEX. Before applying, I just wanted to know more about t. How valuable are Starpoints compare to Chase UR or even AMEX Membership Rewards?  Lets say I am booking a domestic flight which costs about 25,000 points on UR. Can  get that for a better deal with an SPG?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starwood vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

I think it depends on the rate of point accumulation. Which card allows you to get to that 25000 UR or MR fastest and with the least spend.
I have the chase trifecta so me earning UR with "optimal spending" is better and faster. some people benefit more from MR point accumulation. Now as for point redemption and better deal, I think it should be pretty aligned since you are booking through the actual airline no?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two entirely different kinds f cards.  The SPG card is a hotel specific card while the CSP is a general travel card.  You can't directly book flights with SPG points.  You can transfer the points to specific airlines in their partner list where then you can use the miles to book flights.  Generally, for now, the SPG points are valued a little bit higher than Chase UR points.  Starwood though has been purchased by Marriott and eventually SPG points will probably be converted to Marriott points.

Just FYI,  this thread will be moved as this sub forum is only for approvals.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it's a good idea to get an SPG now. If it gets transferred to Marriott, it will no longer be an Amex and the points on the Marriott are "worse".
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starwood seems great if you will be staying at their properties, as the points are very valuable.

I am giving it a go, in addition to CSP to figure out what points work best for my travels.

Message 5 of 8
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

Ummm you can absolutely book flights directly with spg. I've done it, they have a webpage called "SPG flights" I really like my Starwood points card. I love that their hotels can be really cheap. I've seen Sheratons and Westins as cheap as 6000 per night (if you book multiple nights) considering the sign up bonus is usually around 25k that gives you 4-5 nights as soon as you hit the spending.
Message 6 of 8
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

I love my SPG card, the sign up bonus gave me 4 free nights at a super nice 5 star hotel! It was awesome.

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@mattayy wrote:

I love my SPG card, the sign up bonus gave me 4 free nights at a super nice 5 star hotel! It was awesome.

That is a good sign up bonus that I would like. Nice.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.