Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Farm Credit Card

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

State Farm Credit Card

Anyone have, or know anything useful, about this credit card?  My insurance keeps hounding me to apply for it.  Most of my inquiries are going to fall off in September, so I am considering it.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Established Contributor

Re: State Farm Credit Card

I was issued this card in Dec. 08 with a 17500 CL. The interest charges for me were 3.99+ prime, or no less than a minimum of 9.9%

I like this card because all of my insurance products are through State Farm, low interest rate, good credit line and it gives 1% cash back in "State Farm Dollars" you must apply to any State Farm Insurance Product.

It was a good fit for me.

Message 2 of 26
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I have the rewards version and while I am happy with the company and the service they provide, the rewards are not very remarkable.  Of course in the next few months we might be able to say that about any rewards card.  The interest rate is resonable, I haven't heard of much AA by them and I've always had a good experience when I've called in.  That is more than can be said of a lot of companies, so I would recommend them if you are just looking for another TL.  They pay rewards at a straight 1% and they can only be redeemed at $50 and then only for State Farm Products.  I think you could open a banking account with them and have the money deposited into it, but I've never looked into that. They also have a non-rewards card but I think the interest rate is about the same on either one. 

If you are looking for another card they are probably as good as any although I'm not sure that their credit limits are on par with some of the other banks.  

Message 3 of 26
Established Contributor

@hemi961 wrote:

I have the rewards version and while I am happy with the company and the service they provide, the rewards are not very remarkable.  Of course in the next few months we might be able to say that about any rewards card.  The interest rate is resonable, I haven't heard of much AA by them and I've always had a good experience when I've called in.  That is more than can be said of a lot of companies, so I would recommend them if you are just looking for another TL.  They pay rewards at a straight 1% and they can only be redeemed at $50 and then only for State Farm Products.  I think you could open a banking account with them and have the money deposited into it, but I've never looked into that. They also have a non-rewards card but I think the interest rate is about the same on either one. 

If you are looking for another card they are probably as good as any although I'm not sure that their credit limits are on par with some of the other banks.  

This may be an excellent reason in specific to have this card. I thought with all of the insurance products I have with them it might be more likely for a higher CL and maybe less likely to see any significant AA. Dunno yet...time will tell if this remains true. Heretofore not a word on any AA.

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-10-2009 02:57 PM
Message 4 of 26
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I agree 100% plasticman, I've never had to wonder if a transaction was going to go through when I've used this card.  I applied because I hadn't heard anything bad about them and as I stated I have been happy with them.  They are a good, solid company and I will be keeping their card for a long time.  Congratulations on the excellent credit limit. 
Message 5 of 26
Established Contributor

@hemi961 wrote:
I agree 100% plasticman, I've never had to wonder if a transaction was going to go through when I've used this card.  I applied because I hadn't heard anything bad about them and as I stated I have been happy with them.  They are a good, solid company and I will be keeping their card for a long time.  Congratulations on the excellent credit limit. 

Thanks hemi961,

I have worked very hard on my credit profile for many years.

Incidentally, One of the other reasons I applied with them was because I knew as an insurance company it was highly unlikely they were mired in bad debt resulting from the home foreclosure debacle.

Be well.....

Message 6 of 26
DI
Super Contributor

I have the State Farm Rewards Card.  I never had any problems with it.  I stop using it after the teaser rate ended a year ago at which time I received CLI by request.   I recently used it this past July to make sure it doesn't get close.

I won't use it again until October.  I'm juggling 5 different cards to keep usage on them.   

Message 7 of 26
laz98
Senior Contributor

Thank you everyone for your comments!  Hopefully my scores will improve a little more by the end of September.
Message 8 of 26
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The issuer for this card is State Farm Bank®, F.S.B., Bloomington, Illinois. This could be a very nice card to have.

(FSB = Federal Savings Bank)

Message 9 of 26
Established Contributor

FYI, It is in fact a relatively new product issued by State Farm Bank.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.