Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Farm Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State Farm Visa

After waiting 15 days for my card, I decided to call State Farm to inquire about my card. Surprisingly, I was told the card was activated on July 23 and 4 transactions were made on the 24th. How can my card was activated by someone other than myself and using a phone not listed on the account, which is what I asked the Rep for SFB. I never received a straight answer. The dumb SOB used it at Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie and a BP gas station. Fortunately, credit card transactions have date and times used. Was able to use the information to obtain the video footage of the guy using the card at Wal-Mart, into the parking lot and able to get a vehicle description. At Winn-Dixie the slob went to the customer service desk and got a GREAT photo of him using my card. Neither Wal-Mart or Winn-Dixie asked for ID!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: State Farm Visa

Has State Farm Visa taken care of it, or in some way indicating they will?

[State Farm Visa cardholder wondering.]
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far they have been very good. I spoke to the fraud department yesterday and they're sending me an affidavit to sign. 0 fraud liability, but it bugs the crap out of me anyone can activate the card from any phone.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doodah wrote:
So far they have been very good. I spoke to the fraud department yesterday and they're sending me an affidavit to sign. 0 fraud liability, but it bugs the crap out of me anyone can activate the card from any phone.

They don't require you to call from the phone number they have on file?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't have to activate the card first to use it according to our consumer guy, Clark Howard in GA.  Clark did a piece on credit cards being used without first being activated.  They showed someone handing the cashier a new card with the sticker on it saying to activate card and the person was able to make a purchase with out a problem. It behooves us to make sure that we check with the CCC when we are expecting a CC to make sure it does not get stolen.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the primary purpose of "activation" is to force you to call someone who then will try to sell you credit insurance and other products.

Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

rbbyrbsn wrote:

They don't require you to call from the phone number they have on file?

I know Caller ID can be spoofed. Wonder if this is yet another saga in the world of ID Theft. Steal a CC outta the mail (maybe outta the USPS processing center), and spoof a call to activate it.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card was activated by automation prior to its use per State Farm. It sucks. I know I ruined my credit 6 years ago. The last thing I need is someone else to phuck it up!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saga continues..... I finally received my newly issues State Farm Platinum CC. Called to activate and was told the card was canceled. I asked how could the card be canceled when I just received it. The CSR stated I called to report the card stolen. I advised the ORIGINAL card was never received, activated, used by someone other than myself. A second was issued and received on 08/01/2007, but SFB canceled the card PRIOR to mailing the card. WTF? Why mail the card in the first place??? A third card has now been issued. I asked it they will cancel before it arrives. I was told no. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath, but at least they "look out" for their customers.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.