Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stated reason for CLI request?

tag
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

Stated reason for CLI request?

A question popped up in my head, just outta curiosity's sake:

Does anyone ever get asked for the reason for wanting/needing CLI during the request?

And if so, what is the reason that people say if/when asked?

...because honestly, for myself, the only "real" reason i want CLI is "to lower my util", but I dont know if stating that as a reason to an analyst/underwriter is the best thing.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Stated reason for CLI request?

Most will ask.  I go with the truth.  

With Discover: Travel = Denied

Chase Freedom: I wanted my limit to match my others = Success

Cap One Spark Miles: Increse buying power = Success

I havent really asked for any others.  I've never been asked with a luv button

Message 2 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

With Discover I put so I do not go over my credit limit and was approved

Message 3 of 10
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Bump.

Message 4 of 10
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

With Discover IT I told them that I was working to raise my score even higher and that having a higher limit would not only help with my score but also increase my buying power to be able to take advantage of more of the deals they have to offer and their "exceptional" bonuses that I'd like to partake more into and it worked Smiley Happy lol

With Cap One I told them I would like to use their card as my daily go to since it has the no hassel 1.5% on everything all the time and that with the petty limit I currently have I just can't use the card as it is of no use to me.  The one month I did I had to pay it off 4 times before the statement even cut just to be able to continue using it.  This was today so I don't know yet if I've got it or not but the lady said if they didn't meet my request for an additional $2K they'd more than likely meet me in the middle somewhere...so we will see.

Generally speaking I wouldn't think telling the truth would hurt as it does show them that you are aware of credit and scoring and that you take the time to make sure you're where you should be at which to me shows responsibility of using credit and they should smile on that rather than frown, but who knows with these big CC companies what they're looking for in an answer!

Message 5 of 10
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@--HighHopes-- wrote:

With Discover IT I told them that I was working to raise my score even higher and that having a higher limit would not only help with my score but also increase my buying power to be able to take advantage of more of the deals they have to offer and their "exceptional" bonuses that I'd like to partake more into and it worked Smiley Happy lol

With Cap One I told them I would like to use their card as my daily go to since it has the no hassel 1.5% on everything all the time and that with the petty limit I currently have I just can't use the card as it is of no use to me.  The one month I did I had to pay it off 4 times before the statement even cut just to be able to continue using it.  This was today so I don't know yet if I've got it or not but the lady said if they didn't meet my request for an additional $2K they'd more than likely meet me in the middle somewhere...so we will see.

Generally speaking I wouldn't think telling the truth would hurt as it does show them that you are aware of credit and scoring and that you take the time to make sure you're where you should be at which to me shows responsibility of using credit and they should smile on that rather than frown, but who knows with these big CC companies what they're looking for in an answer!

If I am ever in a situation to explain the need for cli my response would be that I no longer want to pay my bill more than once a month.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 6 of 10
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

@--HighHopes-- wrote:

If I am ever in a situation to explain the need for cli my response would be that I no longer want to pay my bill more than once a month.

I completely agree with you!  I guess that would have been simply putSmiley Happy  I may have overthought that one just a bit! lol

Message 7 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

If I wind up having to speak to a live person, I give the rant of "Cleaning house, and thinning out the low limit cards," then throw in the "and the APRs are also priority," as to kill two birds with one stone.

Message 8 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I am also in for the truth.  For Discover I put  TRAVEL and was approved. For Cap1 I mentioned their BT offers and that I could not take it due to the limit and was doubled my CL.  For BofA I mentioned that I wanted to get their cards to the other limits and both approved.  So I think the reason does not really matter..lenders grant it when they possibly can ..Good luck!

Message 9 of 10
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

OP and everyone that responded do you guys always call in your request?  I have never called in and have always done it online.  I mean in the last ten years I have. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.