Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stay in garden or App for CSP?

tag
Bmn5940
Contributor

Stay in garden or App for CSP?

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I've been on the forums as I've been staying hard in the garden and didn't want any posts to temp me out of it. I'm trying to get some opinions on whether my chances for CSP are good or not. My current score via Citi Bank Fico is 758 (not sure of the others or what bureu Citi pulls) but credit Karma say:

Transunion

• 7 hard inquries (latest one July 2018 discover student loan)
  • utilization at 3%
  • no lates no misses

Equifax

• 7 hard inquires (latest one July 2018 discover student loan)
  • utilization at 3%
  • no lates no misses

With the stats above and no new credit card accounts since August 2018 (became AU on AMEX cash magnet) do I stand a chance with the CSP? I've had a Chase FU for about two years now the limit has been stuck at $500, I recently opened a college checking with chase for thr $100 offer and because I moved to California for the Summer for an Internship. My current income is about 70k-80k a year (depends on how much I work during school semesters). My highest card is the AMEX Cash Magnet at $6000, then Citi TYP at $2600(just got soft pull increase TODAY!!!), Cap One QS $2300, AMEX BCE $1500, Chase FU $500. With all this what are my chances at a CSP, I travel so much throughout the school year and this card would help waive young renters fees on cars and would let me rack up points for flights. Just since May I've flown accross the country 7 times and the CSP would've been great to have. Also I know about the Chase 24/5 rule do student loan accounts count for towards that rule?

Thank you!

Very Happily in the garden
Goal Cards:
None for Now
22 REPLIES 22
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Re: Stay in garden or App for CSP?

Since you already have a relationship with Chase, log in and check your offers, and see if CSP has a green checkmark. If it does, then go for it. If not, are you near a branch? You can go in and talk with a rep. In branch offers are also solid. If you're not near a branch, then we need to look at your DPs.

It sounds like you have a thin file, so I'm not the best person to help you analyze your DPs. I'm responding to help the conversation along, but definitely rely on other people over me.

- Credit Karma doesn't give your real FICO scores, and I'm not sure about Citibank. You can get your real scores at creditchecktotal.com for $1 (cancel within the week). In the future, get your reports from annualcreditreport.com. Chase pulled my EQ and EX, but I'm not sure if that's standard for them.

- How many new credit card accounts in the last 24 months? You said 0/10 but that's not how Chase measures it.

- Do you have any delinquencies or derogatory information? I'm asking again because I'm unclear whether you're reporting what CK says in your OP.

Things that help:

- You already have 1 card above $5k.

- You have a two year relationship with Chase. They've gotten to know you, and as long as you always pay on time (and in full, with some caveats) then they probably trust you with more.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know csp is a great looking card, but it is not really a good travel card, earning rate is too low.

You can do better with a Citi premier, or an Amex gold. They have good SUB, less requirement, and better value.
Message 3 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Bmn5940 wrote:

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I've been on the forums as I've been staying hard in the garden and didn't want any posts to temp me out of it. I'm trying to get some opinions on whether my chances for CSP are good or not. My current score via Citi Bank Fico is 758 (not sure of the others or what bureu Citi pulls) but credit Karma say:

Transunion

• 7 hard inquries (latest one July 2018 discover student loan)
  • utilization at 3%
  • no lates no misses

Equifax

• 7 hard inquires (latest one July 2018 discover student loan)
  • utilization at 3%
  • no lates no misses

With the stats above and no new credit card accounts since August 2018 (became AU on AMEX cash magnet) do I stand a chance with the CSP? I've had a Chase FU for about two years now the limit has been stuck at $500, I recently opened a college checking with chase for thr $100 offer and because I moved to California for the Summer for an Internship. My current income is about 70k-80k a year (depends on how much I work during school semesters). My highest card is the AMEX Cash Magnet at $6000, then Citi TYP at $2600(just got soft pull increase TODAY!!!), Cap One QS $2300, AMEX BCE $1500, Chase FU $500. With all this what are my chances at a CSP, I travel so much throughout the school year and this card would help waive young renters fees on cars and would let me rack up points for flights. Just since May I've flown accross the country 7 times and the CSP would've been great to have. Also I know about the Chase 24/5 rule do student loan accounts count for towards that rule?

Thank you!

Loans to not count towards 5/24, only revolving credit 

If you have no offers in your account, I would go to the branch and see if you have any pre-approvals there. 

Even if you dont, it does not mean you cannot do a cold up 

Also, have you tried prequal  https://www.chase.com/prequalified

I personally think you're fine to apply if you're under 5/24

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I know csp is a great looking card, but it is not really a good travel card, earning rate is too low.

You can do better with a Citi premier, or an Amex gold. They have good SUB, less requirement, and better value.

You might be right on the Citi. That seems to be a pretty good earner, though I know nothing about their Thank You points system.  But I prefer the Chase to the Amex for travel. It might earn less, but Chase’s loose definition of travel more than makes up for it.  Book directly through a hotel if you want. Grab bonus points on your rental, Uber, or parking while you’re there. The CSP is pretty solid. 

OP: My unscientific opinion is that you’d be okay, but follow the good advice already given, and you’ll find out before you hit submit. 

Message 5 of 23
Bmn5940
Contributor

Hey everyone thanks for the replies I'm going to do the $1 credit report when I'm off work today but Citi is reporting 758 FICO From Equifax. Trans union and Equifax stats are coming from credit karma though. The newest credit card account I opened was in August 2018 (AU on Amex) all other credit card accounts were opened between 2016-2017 so I believe I'm clear for 5/24. I am under a mile from a chase branch currently and no I haven't had a green check mark offer from chase ever and I've never had an offer pop up under their prequal link as well. My checking account with them is about a month old. I put decent usage through my FU but it's only $500 limit so I can't even buy a flight, bills etc on it as I do my Amex. I am not interested in the Amex gold simply because in school my work schedule fluctuates and some months I need to leave a balance before I get my paycheck to pay off whatever card I'm using at the time. I've never been late/delinquent, no collections, and pretty thin file (I'm 21). I think I answered everyone's questions and I'll report back with my actual FICO report later today. Thanks everyone!

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi is giving you EQ Bankcard 8 FICO

Amex gives you EX fico 08 https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/creditscore/us/viewScore?request_type=authreg_acctCreditScor...

The only one you're missing is TU but, if the other 2 are in line then you can just avoid the whole CCT issue altogether.

Message 7 of 23
Bmn5940
Contributor

Thank you! Amex FICO is reporting 769

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

YW!

So, an educated guess would be TU being in the same ballpark.

Message 9 of 23
Bmn5940
Contributor

Yeah I've been being very "aware" of my credit for the last 2 years because I really want the CSP, payment history 100%, get soft CLI when available, keeping my utilization low but for some reason Chase I feel like hates me no auto increase for 2 years and I've never had a prequal or offer from them and don't want to leave the garden if my chances for CSP is low

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.