Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying on top of Amex Offers

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Staying on top of Amex Offers

Hey all,

For those of you with Amex cards (looking at you @K-in-Boston Smiley Wink ), is there any efficient way to know about all the offers available other than going into the app/on the website and just looking at the list for every card? It would be nice if when I'm checking out somewhere that I know could have offers, that I didn't have to look through like every card's list to see whether an offer exists. I know there's "Nearby Offers" but you still have to do that for every card. I'll suck it up if that's just the way it is, but was curious if there was some app everybody was using for this.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: Staying on top of Amex Offers

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Hey all,

For those of you with Amex cards (looking at you @K-in-Boston Smiley Wink ), is there any efficient way to know about all the offers available other than going into the app/on the website and just looking at the list for every card? It would be nice if when I'm checking out somewhere that I know could have offers, that I didn't have to look through like every card's list to see whether an offer exists. I know there's "Nearby Offers" but you still have to do that for every card. I'll suck it up if that's just the way it is, but was curious if there was some app everybody was using for this.

Thanks!

This might sound stupid, but my strategy is below:

*I add all offers to my cards, so my offers section is always empty. Some people say adding offers tailor them to you specifically, but I cannot stand having anything in the offers section. I wish I could delete the ones I know I'm not going to use instead.

AMEX PLAT - Get's all the fancy/large purchase offers

AMEX GOLD - Get's all the food/grocery items

AMEX BBP - Get's all the gas, Amazon, etc. items

AMEX Business Prime - Get's all the other stuff I'm never going to use to empty the offers section

Message 2 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks!

*I add all offers to my cards, so my offers section is always empty. Some people say adding offers tailor them to you specifically, but I cannot stand having anything in the offers section. I wish I could delete the ones I know I'm not going to use instead.

AMEX Business Prime - Get's all the other stuff I'm never going to use to empty the offers section

That may or may not sound stupid, but it certainly doesn't count as efficient!   Also, this adds the offer to your cards but you probably don't usefully "know" about the offers if you are adding them all.  To me, that means knowing "I could get this at store X or Y, but I have an offer at X so I will go there"

Message 3 of 14
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Not really any efficient way to do it that I know of. Nowadays I either check mine and DW's cards every two weeks or so when I'm feeling bored, or check them when Doctor of Credit and/or forums here post a deal that grabs my attention. At that point it's sort of an obligation that I might as well speed read all the offers since I'm looking for a particular one already

Message 4 of 14
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks!

I do something like this:

Green: Travel offers EXCEPT Hilton (unless I can't make them pop up on Hilton Smiley Sad )
Gold: dining/grocery

Hilton Aspire: Hilton, some luxury stuff, mostly junk so I can see more offers

Hilton no-AF: junk so I can see more offers Smiley Wink

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 5 of 14
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

The way the Amex website is structured, it's very difficult to do it. They make it impossible to even create a bookmark for different cards, and bookmarking a page always only bookmarks the default card you have. The offers are tailored to individuals as well, so I do not think there is a public "offers" list we can just look into.

I don't really have an answer for you, but what I do is:

1) Bookmark the offers page (as my default Amex page).

2) Write and inject JavaScript to make it easier for me to find stuff.

3) Ctrl+F to find specific stores

3) Still, navigate each card.

That said, I still use my computer's web browser, as I tend to plan ahead on where I'll be spending.

And I do not usually use my Amex in my regular spending (I use category cards).

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't imagine that theye change day to day, or even week to week. Though i do regularly log in weekly at the longest interval, and sometimes every few days. Though I don't actually check my offers but maybe once per month, I haven't noticed any changes when checking weekly.

I only add relevant offers to certain cards I plan or expect to use them on in a certain time frame, if I added them all I'd forget which one had what offer. lol

Message 7 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The interesting ones often get reported here.

I do use my BCE to clear away the uninteresting offers now and then...though that leads to a flurry of emails as thay are about to expire.

I got this on BBP:

Get 2,000 Membership Rewards® Membership Rewards® points by using your enrolled Business Card to spend a minimum of $6,500+ in one or more eligible transactions, up to 3 times during the offer term. Once you add the offer to your eligible Card, you will have 90 days to spend $6,500 or more. See terms for exclusions.

Nothing amazing, but it's a boost to what is already my favored card for tax payments.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

The most efficient way is to have only one AMEX card Smiley Happy

Failing that self-control stretch goal, I look at the offers, determine which cards it is on, then try to activate it for a "likely card I'll have" and assign it there. 

Then, upon spending at that merchant using another AMEX card, or another bank altogether, and several days later stumbling on the Added Offer again, berate myself for failing to keep the offer top of mind. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

The interesting ones often get reported here.

I do use my BCE to clear away the uninteresting offers now and then...though that leads to a flurry of emails as thay are about to expire.

I got this on BBP:

Get 2,000 Membership Rewards® Membership Rewards® points by using your enrolled Business Card to spend a minimum of $6,500+ in one or more eligible transactions, up to 3 times during the offer term. Once you add the offer to your eligible Card, you will have 90 days to spend $6,500 or more. See terms for exclusions.

Nothing amazing, but it's a boost to what is already my favored card for tax payments.

Interesting, I was just in my account yesterday and had a simialr same offer on my BBP, only it was for 9K points with $6K spend in 90 days. For me I think I'd rather have a lower spend threshold for a few less points, I don't see myself spending that much in a mere 90 days. At least not on one card.

Having only one card would certainly take the guesswork out of it on which one to use where. Though I find that each product does have an oppourtunity to earn more with specific offers when spending in their categories, such as travel or dining being useful for Gold versus others that may be better spend on BCP with streaming etc.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.