cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still feeling slighted: Is Chase Sapphire Reserve still worth it?

tag
RKintaudi
Established Member

Still feeling slighted: Is Chase Sapphire Reserve still worth it?

A week and a half ago, I applied for the CSR in-branch and was denied due to 5/24, though I bet you dollars to doughnuts there's other people who were approved for the card even if they were well over 5/24. That, however, is an entirely different gripe altogether.

I'm wondering if the CSR is still worth it even if though the bonus has been reduced to 50K? I spend about $4,000 annually in dining and travel, so I'm wondering if this card is still worth it and if I should apply once one of my five cards rolls off in October. 

Bonus Question: I saw on the Chase website that the 3x travel/dining bonus applies to fine dining restaurants. To anyone who currently has this card, does "fine-dining" institutions such as Chipotle, In-N-Out, etc. qualify for the 3x bonus?

Thanks,

S.K.

Starting Score (Average) | Current Score (Average) | Goal Score (Average): 750

Current Credit Cards: BofA Cash Rewards: CL - $9,200 | Chase Freedom: CL - $3,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: CL - $9,000 | Delta American Express SkyMiles Card: CL - $16,300 | Goldenwest Credit Union Visa Rewards: CL - $7,500 | Mountain America Credit Union Visa Rewards: CL - $10,000 | RC Willey Credit Card: CL - $3,000 | Synchrony Bank /Cards: CL - $7.000
Total CL: $65,000 | Utilization: 12.13%
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Still feeling slighted: Is Chase Sapphire Reserve still worth it?

Fine dine as much as you want, they qualify.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Taco bell earned me 36.09 points the other day. By no means is that fine dining in my book. 12x3=36.
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear you were one of the majority who were not able to bypass Chase's 5/24 rule (I am in that boat - trust me I applied for CSR twice just to make sure).

To answer your question, pretty much anything that codes as a restaurant counts. It is not just high-end sit-down places. While I would not advocate eating anything from McDonalds, a Quarter-Pounder will give you 3x points per dollar just the same as a nice 8oz filet mignon from a decent steak house would.

Message 4 of 20
cjesser15
Contributor

In my experience, pretty much everything you might expect counts. Coffee shops, fast food, bars. I've had a lot of pleasant surprises and no disappointments when it comes to this.
Message 5 of 20
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

might be wise to wait till a better signing bonus is available. But it could still be worth it, if your car isn't in the best health or you can take advantage of other benefits. see my experience with the card below. 

Personally I got in with the 100,000 pts, and so far I have received the $300 travel credit twice, once last year, and already this year as well.  The credit appears nearly immediately on the statement and they consider far more places as travel expenses than Capital Venture card does.  

I also took advantage of the roadside service of about $50 so far.  Son's car needed a tire changed and we couldn't get it off, didn't have a rubber mallet with us, so we called the number on the back of the card, and they were out to the car in about 20 minutes.  

So overall the card is worth it. Wish the cost for additional cards (AU's) wasn't so high, I'm keeping my CSP as well since its about the same price as having her added as an AU on CSR.  A couple years ago primary rental insurance saved us $1600 when our rental car was keyed in a mall parking lot, so That benefit alone pays for the card when you add in $25 a day for coverage that you get to decline, and not having to involve your auto-insurance for rental car issues. 

Though Chase's customer service quality has gone down over the last couple year, called them to notify them of our travel plans, and they wanted card details from each chase credit card we wanted to add the note from even though we allready provided details of our CSR card, instead of just adding the travel details to each of our cards on the account. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

Though Chase's customer service quality has gone down over the last couple year, called them to notify them of our travel plans, and they wanted card details from each chase credit card we wanted to add the note from even though we allready provided details of our CSR card, instead of just adding the travel details to each of our cards on the account. 

That surprised me... I set a travel notice on my account the other day and it automagically did it for all 3 cards (even though I didn't need/want it set for the FU).

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want the card enough I even considered PC'ing to it.  But I just can't forgo bonus offers.  Smiley Very Happy  

Message 8 of 20
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

First let me answer your bonus question- fine dining st McDonald's counts as wel!!!

On to your other question- it depends on your financial situation. If you can fork out the AF, go for it. As the returns on URs at 1.5 makes it very valuable, add to that global reimbursement, 300 travel credit.

Honestly, had I not applied and gotten the CSP before the CSR got out, regardless of the sign up bonus, I would've gotten the CSR.

That being said, I don't believe in PC as its throwing away 800-1000 in free money (sign up bonuses) so I might wait till I'm under 5/24 before getting it.

Hope that helps

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 9 of 20
RKintaudi
Established Member

If the lower tier restaurants count for the 3x bonus, then I think that would make the card worth the annual fee when it comes to my spending. I'm assuming that PC'ing is becoming a private client. Just read the requirements for that...no thank you, sir Smiley Happy

I was kind of in the same boat for the CSP. I got it 5 months before the CSR dropped and that was the card to put me over the 5/24. 

In any case, it sounds like it is worth the wait. I just hope I won't be denied again when I re-apply in October due to "Questionable credit limit to income ratio" or some other run-of-the-mill reasoning.

Starting Score (Average) | Current Score (Average) | Goal Score (Average): 750

Current Credit Cards: BofA Cash Rewards: CL - $9,200 | Chase Freedom: CL - $3,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: CL - $9,000 | Delta American Express SkyMiles Card: CL - $16,300 | Goldenwest Credit Union Visa Rewards: CL - $7,500 | Mountain America Credit Union Visa Rewards: CL - $10,000 | RC Willey Credit Card: CL - $3,000 | Synchrony Bank /Cards: CL - $7.000
Total CL: $65,000 | Utilization: 12.13%
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.