Did you mean: 

Store Credit CarD Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store Credit CarD Question

Hi Guys,

Wonderful fourm!

i remember in the 80s many stores would automatically approve you for a credit card as long as you already had a major credit card.  I had an account with Firestone that was opened in that manner.  Are there any stores that still approve that way?

M
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Store Credit CarD Question

Good Question but I dont think any of them do that anymore.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

LatinMami wrote:
Hi Guys,

Wonderful fourm!

i remember in the 80s many stores would automatically approve you for a credit card as long as you already had a major credit card.  I had an account with Firestone that was opened in that manner.  Are there any stores that still approve that way?

M

I tried for a Kohl's charge card and got denied.  Requested reconsideration and was told that they require an applicant have at least one credit card that has reported for six months and is in good standing.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

HouseHunter wrote:

LatinMami wrote:
Hi Guys,

Wonderful fourm!

M

I tried for a Kohl's charge card and got denied.  Requested reconsideration and was told that they require an applicant have at least one credit card that has reported for six months and is in good standing.

Not missing much with the Kohl's.  I actually applied in store was approved and got home and called CS and cancelled.  One lady ran the app and the second wouldn't let me use it.  Shoulda done the same thing with the Dillards card.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

HouseHunter wrote:

LatinMami wrote:
Hi Guys,

Wonderful fourm!

M

Not sure they were telling the truth.  A friend of mine called and said she used her debit card to apply.  The salespeople actually hounded her to do it and she politely said no several times.  She knew she would get declined due to a low score.  She finally gave in and was approved.  She has no credit card at all.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

daytona18 wrote:

HouseHunter wrote:

LatinMami wrote:
Hi Guys,

Wonderful fourm!

M

Not sure they were telling the truth.  A friend of mine called and said she used her debit card to apply.  The salespeople actually hounded her to do it and she politely said no several times.  She knew she would get declined due to a low score.  She finally gave in and was approved.  She has no credit card at all.

Try appyling in the store.  They had me swipe a card, the lady said any card, to verify identity.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dunno but you may have luck with Macy's.

When I applied online it asked for a major cc to verify identity.
I heard they pull EX, but haven't seen an inq from them.

I was approved and have already used the # they gave me online.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's talk at CB that if you use the same card at Target and Walmart a vew times they'll offer you a store card.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

db23 wrote:
There's talk at CB that if you use the same card at Target and Walmart a vew times they'll offer you a store card.

If that's the case, I should have had a Wal-mart card ages ago.  I have to go to Wal-mart or the Wal-mart grocery store every other day for something and always use the same card.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy wrote:

Try appyling in the store.  They had me swipe a card, the lady said any card, to verify identity.

Ahh, I would be careful with that though.  I used to work retail, and the store I was employed with offered a credit card. Besides making the sales goals for the day (money wise) we also had to reach our goal of credit cards. We often received compensation for getting a new account opened, and some department stores even offer a commission for credit cards. (IE you would receive $5 extra in your paycheck for each new account opened, whether the client was accepted or not)

My main point is, at the end of the day..They wanted those activactions.  By store policy, they needed a credit/debit card for a credit check, and then a license to verify identity.  However, by the end of the day the store was taking library cards as a major credit card.  Anything they could to scan through that register and get our compensation.  If that is the case, they would get a message saying 'not enough information, please call and speak to a representative' and your credit wouldn't be affected, unless you decided to call it in.

Soo just because the associate guarantees you'll be approved and to hand over any card at all..I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Message Edited by becki_ on 08-21-2007 07:41 AM
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.