Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store card question?

tag
RyGuy4690
Established Member

Store card question?

Say if I were to open up a Kohl's or JC Penny card for the discount they offer when you check out, pay it off and then close it.. would that be terrible? 

EQ 727/TU 724/EX 716 myFICO 4/3/2016

Amex PRG NPSL/BoFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature 21k/Capital One Quicksilver VS 21k/Chase Sapphire 20k/Amex Gold Delta 12.3k/Discover It 11.9k/Citi ThankYou Preferred WMC 10.1k/American Airlines Silver WEMC 10k/Best Buy store card 10k/Macy's store card 10k/JCP store card 10k/Chase Marriott Premier VS 6.5k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Store card question?

You'd get an inquiry and AAoA would drop because of it.  Those would be the impacts to your credit, so not sure if you'd consider that terrible.  Also not sure if you're asking if that makes you a terrible person...I'd say no go for it if your credit can handle it!

Message 2 of 7
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

It would be terrible, but why would you do it?

If you shop a store regularly, then its CC can be good to have for additional discounts not offered to the general public.  If you're taking the card for the one time discount, I don't see it as worth it unless it is a substantial purchase.

Message 3 of 7
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Do you shop alot at JC Penny?

Because they have a decent rewards program. The more you shop, the more coupons you get (like $10 off etc)

I know I bought my Son $200 worth of stuff last year and after I turned in rewards cost me like $80.

Same thing with a pair of shoes I ended up paying $2 for.

Just saying, that Pennys card isn't bad at all if you shop there a lot. Its gives constant discounts.

If you rarely shop there, or dont see yourself doing so its not worth it for a 1 time discount.

The interest rate stinks, but if you PIF its a non issue.

Message 4 of 7
RyGuy4690
Established Member

Will be shopping there more because they have some better product offerings now and I have lost quite a bit of weight so I can buy the products right at the store etc.

Just didnt know if store cards were a hassle or not for your credit file? 

EQ 727/TU 724/EX 716 myFICO 4/3/2016

Amex PRG NPSL/BoFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature 21k/Capital One Quicksilver VS 21k/Chase Sapphire 20k/Amex Gold Delta 12.3k/Discover It 11.9k/Citi ThankYou Preferred WMC 10.1k/American Airlines Silver WEMC 10k/Best Buy store card 10k/Macy's store card 10k/JCP store card 10k/Chase Marriott Premier VS 6.5k
Message 5 of 7
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@RyGuy4690 wrote:

Will be shopping there more because they have some better product offerings now and I have lost quite a bit of weight so I can buy the products right at the store etc.

Just didnt know if store cards were a hassle or not for your credit file? 

Not a hassle or really any different than any other CCC.  Store cards tend to (but not always) start with smallish limits, but some increase quite nicely rather fast. I don't know much about either of the stores/cards you mentioned.

Some here will state to stay away from store cards.  I feel as long as they are useful to you and you financial management  they have their place.  It's a matter of personal preference.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store cards themselves aren't the problem, it's having them be the majority of your credit portfolio is when it becomes an issue.  

I personally wouldn't mind one or two useful ones (including the Walmart I have now, maybe!) at places I shop at often and can provide decent (if not good) rewards.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.