Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store cards- the argument for closing

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Store cards- the argument for closing

I generally avoid store cards unless it's usable outside the store (i.e Best Buy Visa).

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 11 of 38
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

I don't like having bunches of store cards for places I never shop at or that don't offer good incentives. But there are a few I'd like to get, because they offer 5% discounts or cashback at places I regularly shop anyways:

• REI
  • Lowes
  • Amazon

Besides that, I'd rather avoid the hassle. It's usually not worth the effort (or money) to use the card often enough to keep them from closing it.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 12 of 38
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If growing up means getting fewer rewards at stores I shop at anyway, then I don't wanna grow up.  (And since I'm paraphrasing a toy store commercial from the 80s, I'm probably grown up anyway.)

Doubtful.  Smiley Tongue

DW and I still have a few store cards.... we keep Target for the 5% discount, NFM for the zero percent financing, and we both have Lowes cards for the discount OR the financing.... depending on the purchase.

If they work for you, keep them.  If they don't, don't. 

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 13 of 38
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Can store branded cards with low CL impact other larger issuers from extended larger CLI?

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 14 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

Can store branded cards with low CL impact other larger issuers from extended larger CLI?

"Low limit hell" is a common phrase thrown around.  On the surface, it often appears that low limits beget more low limits, but those limits are often determined by one's credit profile including income and recent credit-seeking, so correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

Even with average revolving credit lines around $25,000 or so, I've had approvals as low as $2500 (Citi Premier) in the past few years.  Even though I have a card that I purposely decreased to only $500, I've had a number of approvals with starting lines in the $20-40k range.

So yes, if one's credit profile has a number of new accounts mostly for small limit store cards, it can affect starting lines depending on the lender.  But the same can also be said about a number of new accounts with much larger starting lines.

An important distinction was made earlier in the thread.  Having a bunch of low dollar store cards one never uses because those are accounts they could be approved for is seldom a good idea.  But having a handful of store cards if one regularly shops at the retailer and makes use of discounts or promotional financing is just good financial sense.

Message 15 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

I feel like there's just as many DPs of someone with low limits getting big limits and the other way around

Bigger factors would be how often you apply/attain new credit, income, deposit activity (with the credit-issuing bank), etc.

Message 16 of 38
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

A friend told me that he "outgrew" retail store cards and closed all of them (he had 4). He now exclusively has Amex and Citi (Double Cash, Gold and Hilton Aspire).  What is everyone's thoughts around saying no to store branded retail cards?

Some people would say they've outgrown Citi.  Honestly, it depends on what works for your profile and your needs.   Many store cards have worthy perks, such as increased rewards or special financing, that are desirable at any credit level.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 17 of 38
sxa001
Valued Contributor

I don't believe in closing cards on my own anyways that don't have an AF. If they get closed for non use so be it.  I only have two store cards.  I did get lucky with the Dillard's AMEX as I can use it outside of Dillard's but the limit is really terrible (I never tried to increase it).  I will likely eventually be downgraded to their regular tier card since I decided to stop being a shop-a-holic*.  

My Blue Nile will likely eventually be closed, since I have received CLIs from other cards I am not worried about losing the 9K in credit when that happens.  

* To give an example of my Dillard's addiction, one afternoon I was with a friend of mine and he wanted me to swing by the Best Buy, I naturally ended up in the Dillard's parking lot and honestly didn't even think about it until he reminded me we were going to the Best Buy.  

Message 18 of 38
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

I feel like there's just as many DPs of someone with low limits getting big limits and the other way around

Bigger factors would be how often you apply/attain new credit, income, deposit activity (with the credit-issuing bank), etc.

This. I dont think just because one has 4 $500 cards they wont get a $10k card elsewhere. Same as high limits dont gaurentee high limits. Jusr ask those HIErs about that first limit with Navy lol. We are outliers here on myFico as we arent afraid to get 30 cards whereas Joe Q Public usually gets 3 , not knowing its in their power to be able to get 30 lol

Message 19 of 38
tcbofade
Super Contributor

...or 38  Smiley Embarassed

Our Home Depot card got CLD'd to a $500 credit limit. 

I have a $36k NFCU Platinum credit limit.

...and 36 in between. 

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.