Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

I'm sure everyone's heard about JCPenney disabling NFC on their terminals (supposedly due to Visa's rule change/mandate). Last night I read something about Pei Wei disabling it on theirs as well, so I'm starting to wonder if anyone else has done so/whether this is going to be a trend. Has anyone else noticed more stores disabling it where you live?

FWIW, I haven't seen anyone else around here disable NFC thus far.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

What was the rule/change from Visa?

Message 2 of 36
Merlin3482
Contributor

JC Penny did suspend taking contactless payments. This was due to not being able to meet the new standards by VISA of EMV contactless by April 13. I am sure once they update thier equipment it will be business as usuall. Visa has retired and will not longer support MSD contactless.

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

What was the rule/change from Visa?

Visa now requires that contactless transactions run in EMV mode (typically indicated by an AID printing on the receipt after tapping, though this isn't 100% reliable). In the past, a lot of merchants were using the older MSD mode, which is phased out in much of the rest of the world.

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Merlin3482 wrote:

JC Penny did suspend taking contactless payments. This was due to not being able to meet the new standards by VISA of EMV contactless by April 13. I am sure once they update thier equipment it will be business as usuall. Visa has retired and will not longer support MSD contactless.

Beat me to it. Though I think it was more of a convenient excuse for them than any specific issues meeting Visa's deadline as Apple Pay support disappeared from their app too.

Message 5 of 36
Gollum
Established Contributor

For anyone wondering, the MSD acronym in the context of contactless payments stands for Magnetic Stripe Data. IOW, no chip, or the smartphone/whatever emulates an "old-fashioned" MSD credit card.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 6 of 36
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

For anyone wondering, the MSD acronym in the context of contactless payments stands for Magnetic Stripe Data. IOW, no chip, or the smartphone/whatever emulates an "old-fashioned" MSD credit card.

Thanks for the translation! What is "EMV mode (typically indicated by an AID printing on the receipt after tapping)"?

I love contactless, so much faster than inserting the chip, and no annoying honk! honk! honk! telling you to remove the card.

(Software Developers: Did it never occur to you that a pleasant voice saying "please remove your card" would be much nicer than honk! honk! honk! ?)

Message 7 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

(Software Developers: Did it never occur to you that a pleasant voice saying "please remove your card" would be much nicer than honk! honk! honk! ?)

I'm sure that UX researchers found that the pleasant voice type thing led to many more people leaving their cards.   The various nasty noises are effective at getting attention.

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I can (and do) tune out the voice but not one of those sirens.
Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the past, I had a Chase Flexible Rewards Visa that had the "blink" option along with a Citi Dividend MasterCard with a "Pay Pass" option. The contact less Tap & Pay was a great idea but the merchant base seemed not to have installed such software. As we know the old options of contact less went away.

Now I love my new Chase contact less "Tap & Pay" card and it has been used. Faster than paying with cash or fiddling around (remember,  "Rome burned while Nero fiddled") with other options. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.