Did you mean: 

Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

@Anonymous wrote:

@Merlin3482 wrote:

JC Penny did suspend taking contactless payments. This was due to not being able to meet the new standards by VISA of EMV contactless by April 13. I am sure once they update thier equipment it will be business as usuall. Visa has retired and will not longer support MSD contactless.

Beat me to it. Though I think it was more of a convenient excuse for them than any specific issues meeting Visa's deadline as Apple Pay support disappeared from their app too.

Honestly, it's a minor miracle JCP is even still solvent. I give them (and Sears and K-Mart) 5-10 years before they go the way of Toys-R-Us/Montgomery Ward. They can barely keep stores open, let alone update their point-of-sale infrastructure.

As for contactless/mobile pay in general, I'm seeing a significant swing towards more businesses taking it. Places that didn't take it 6 months ago now take it, and even some surprising mom-and-pop places are taking it (just used it at the local fromagerie). There's still a few surprising exceptions in franchises (looking at you, Chipotle) and it's still largely devoid in finer dining, though some restaurants are finally starting to catch up with the rest of the civilized world and bring the handheld terminals to the table instead of walking off with my card. Most of those handhelds ive run into have taken contactless. I've even used contactless at food trucks.

Message 11 of 36
Gollum
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

Honestly, it's a minor miracle JCP is even still solvent. I give them (and Sears and K-Mart) 5-10 years before they go the way of Toys-R-Us/Montgomery Ward. They can barely keep stores open, let alone update their point-of-sale infrastructure.

As for contactless/mobile pay in general, I'm seeing a significant swing towards more businesses taking it. Places that didn't take it 6 months ago now take it, and even some surprising mom-and-pop places are taking it (just used it at the local fromagerie). There's still a few surprising exceptions in franchises (looking at you, Chipotle) and it's still largely devoid in finer dining, though some restaurants are finally starting to catch up with the rest of the civilized world and bring the handheld terminals to the table instead of walking off with my card. Most of those handhelds ive run into have taken contactless. I've even used contactless at food trucks.

I used to go to a little restaurant that I really liked. It was inside a mom-and-pop grocery store. When I asked the guy who owned and ran the restaurant if his gadget could do tap and pay, he said yes, and he thought he could even take Bitcoin, which amused us both. Smiley Happy He has since closed his little restaurant, and reportedly has a food truck now, but I haven't found a schedule for its appearances yet. Smiley Sad

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 12 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Merlin3482 wrote:

JC Penny did suspend taking contactless payments. This was due to not being able to meet the new standards by VISA of EMV contactless by April 13. I am sure once they update thier equipment it will be business as usuall. Visa has retired and will not longer support MSD contactless.

Beat me to it. Though I think it was more of a convenient excuse for them than any specific issues meeting Visa's deadline as Apple Pay support disappeared from their app too.

In my experience, even the chip enabled restaurants still take cards away for the most part. I'm not sure pay at the table will ever become nearly as common as elsewhere simply because chip and signature makes that hard to justify on the restaurant's side.

That said, at least with contactless cards, servers can just tap them for customers (unlike with phones and other devices).

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

For anyone wondering, the MSD acronym in the context of contactless payments stands for Magnetic Stripe Data. IOW, no chip, or the smartphone/whatever emulates an "old-fashioned" MSD credit card.

Thanks for the translation! What is "EMV mode (typically indicated by an AID printing on the receipt after tapping)"?

I love contactless, so much faster than inserting the chip, and no annoying honk! honk! honk! telling you to remove the card.

(Software Developers: Did it never occur to you that a pleasant voice saying "please remove your card" would be much nicer than honk! honk! honk! ?)

Most places by me don't have any sounds.

The Trader Joe's, however, plays a quick & cheery  little jiggle.

I once asked, "if a card gets declined does it go 'WOMP WOMP WOMMMMP?'" 

The guy laughed but sadly said it doesn't.

Message 14 of 36
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

I used to go to a little restaurant that I really liked. It was inside a mom-and-pop grocery store. When I asked the guy who owned and ran the restaurant if his gadget could do tap and pay, he said yes, and he thought he could even take Bitcoin, which amused us both. Smiley Happy He has since closed his little restaurant, and reportedly has a food truck now, but I haven't found a schedule for its appearances yet. Smiley Sad

Small business that use Square are miles ahead of large chains, when it comes to "fintech."

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 15 of 36
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I do not know about no longer accepting it but around here a lot of merchants have it but have no clue that they do. I have had plenty of places that just got the shock of their lives that they had it when I waved it for them after seeing the model. Clearly RTFM never crossed the businesses minds.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 16 of 36
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I personally have noticed a few grocery stores that used to do nfc payments like Apple Pay or google pay no longer offer that. They say just insert or swipe now. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerofire wrote:

I do not know about no longer accepting it but around here a lot of merchants have it but have no clue that they do. I have had plenty of places that just got the shock of their lives that they had it when I waved it for them after seeing the model. Clearly RTFM never crossed the businesses minds.

I get weird looks around here too when I lay my card on top of the reader....even weirder ones when it works. It gives me a nice giggle.

As far as JCP staying in business goes. I think people forget that not all of us live in big cities. Outside of Wal-Mart, and one Belk, JCP is one of a small handful of major department stores within 50 miles of me. Suffice it to say, they still do a pretty good business.

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

I personally have noticed a few grocery stores that used to do nfc payments like Apple Pay or google pay no longer offer that. They say just insert or swipe now. 

I know Safeway had issues with contactless for a bit but AFAIK those have been resolved. I haven't noticed any dropoffs by grocery stores recently, though I haven't been to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for a bit.

Message 19 of 36
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I know Safeway had issues with contactless for a bit but AFAIK those have been resolved. I haven't noticed any dropoffs by grocery stores recently, though I haven't been to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for a bit.

TJ and WF are the only two that I know still have nfc payments. There is a korean chain supermarket here in the Northeast that no longer does nfc payments. Its one of the reasons i think the apple credit card isn't a good fit for me since there are hardly any places that offer the ability to use nfc payments. I am still surprised that no gas stations offer it here as well.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.