Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I personally have noticed a few grocery stores that used to do nfc payments like Apple Pay or google pay no longer offer that. They say just insert or swipe now. 

I know Safeway had issues with contactless for a bit but AFAIK those have been resolved. I haven't noticed any dropoffs by grocery stores recently, though I haven't been to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for a bit.

TJ and WF are the only two that I know still have nfc payments. There is a korean chain supermarket here in the Northeast that no longer does nfc payments. Its one of the reasons i think the apple credit card isn't a good fit for me since there are hardly any places that offer the ability to use nfc payments. I am still surprised that no gas stations offer it here as well.

I'm going to guess H-Mart? I haven't been there recently either but I do remember it working. Might need to try again at some point.

Message 21 of 36
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I personally have noticed a few grocery stores that used to do nfc payments like Apple Pay or google pay no longer offer that. They say just insert or swipe now. 

I know Safeway had issues with contactless for a bit but AFAIK those have been resolved. I haven't noticed any dropoffs by grocery stores recently, though I haven't been to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for a bit.

TJ and WF are the only two that I know still have nfc payments. There is a korean chain supermarket here in the Northeast that no longer does nfc payments. Its one of the reasons i think the apple credit card isn't a good fit for me since there are hardly any places that offer the ability to use nfc payments. I am still surprised that no gas stations offer it here as well.

I'm going to guess H-Mart? I haven't been there recently either but I do remember it working. Might need to try again at some point.

Yes you would be correct its H-Mart they used to accept Apple pay and google pay but last time I went they no longer allow for that. I don't really know why thats the case now. Next time I go I will see if things have changed.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 22 of 36
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I find gas stations do support it quite a bit if it is a large chain like Cumberland Farms or Speedway. They just do the support inside though which makes it a pain as you can walk in and back and have the card swiped 20 times in the same time frame. Only Speedway has an idea of rolling out NFC at the pump but they are conservative and want to do it right so it will take some time. Some small gas stations here also have NFC because they blindly bought the terminal upgrade and again it is only inside. There was a longer deadline for gas pumps so that is why pay at pump NFC does not exist yet even though it would be a great idea.

I found that most groceries are more than willing to add NFC then take it away. Stop&Shop added it when it was ready for them and Shoprite has it as well from before that. The only one that is resistant is Walmart but I think even they will eventually get around to liking it. Give it time.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 23 of 36
Gollum
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

For gas pumps, the lack of tap-and-pay is probably because gas pumps were initially given a liability shift date two years later (if/when/as the pumps get upgraded to accept EMV chips, they might also offer tap-and-pay). That date has since been extended again, and the new date is October 01, 2020:  https://usa.visa.com/visa-everywhere/security/emv-at-the-pump.html

The POS terminals inside the gas station convenience stores near where I live mostly offer tap-and-pay now, but I haven't seen any pumps that do.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gollum wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

For gas pumps, the lack of tap-and-pay is probably because gas pumps were initially given a liability shift date two years later (if/when/as the pumps get upgraded to accept EMV chips, they might also offer tap-and-pay). That date has since been extended again, and the new date is October 01, 2020:  https://usa.visa.com/visa-everywhere/security/emv-at-the-pump.html

The POS terminals inside the gas station convenience stores near where I live mostly offer tap-and-pay now, but I haven't seen any pumps that do.

There are a few Chevron and Shell stations around here with outdoor NFC readers. Of course, YMMV as to whether they'll actually work right now. Arco has them too, but most are debit only (but at least they mostly work).

As for the 2020 date, I'm not sure gas stations will even make that, honestly. I wonder how many will simply shut off pay at the pump entirely until they get around to replacing pumps.

Message 25 of 36
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Complete shutoff of pay at the pump is unlikely. Most of the gas stations I have been in would get clogged just dealing with cash users and inside purchases. Pay at the pump keeps the stations actually moving somehow. Also the fraud rate is rather low at an automated dispenser. I saw this year a few stations where they ripped up the concrete for a week. I think they were repairing lines but it was an experience that leaves an impression. Right now support for NFC is optional but progressive stations will go for deployment of that technology for the experience boost and EMV compliance.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 26 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerofire wrote:

Complete shutoff of pay at the pump is unlikely. Most of the gas stations I have been in would get clogged just dealing with cash users and inside purchases. Pay at the pump keeps the stations actually moving somehow. Also the fraud rate is rather low at an automated dispenser. I saw this year a few stations where they ripped up the concrete for a week. I think they were repairing lines but it was an experience that leaves an impression. Right now support for NFC is optional but progressive stations will go for deployment of that technology for the experience boost and EMV compliance.

My impression is that a fair number of gas stations dislike accepting cards at all, hence the different cash/card prices. Anything done for card acceptance is mainly due to market realities (as in, going cash only won't go over well but people are more okay with choosing to get a discount). And if no one's demanding to pay with their phones/tapping their cards, many won't feel that the extra cost of adding an NFC reader is worth it. Of course, that could very well change in the future and cause a massive rush effort to catch up among the holdouts.

In addition, forcing people to go inside to pay could end up increasing purchases of inside stuff (which is what gas stations typically make money on, not the gas itself). Even if it takes longer to ring people up as a result, that in itself might make disabling pay at the pump worthwhile. We'll see if anyone decides to go this route in any case.

Message 27 of 36
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Apologies for the side question, but are H-Marts outside of the 128 loop now, or are there just that many people from eastern MA on these forums?

Message 28 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Apologies for the side question, but are H-Marts outside of the 128 loop now, or are there just that many people from eastern MA on these forums?

I live in California and there's one down the street from my house. It's been there for a couple of years now. I didn't know they were mainly a NE chain before.

Message 29 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

We have an H-Mart in Aurora, CO. 

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.