Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stores that no longer accept contactless/NFC

Looks like Burger King might have disabled contactless too. Fortunately I don't think it's permanent, just a temporary result of Visa's rule change (especially since there are still Apple Pay logos on the terminal).

Message 31 of 36
zerofire
Valued Contributor

My local Burger King has it enabled when I stepped in yesterday. Maybe it is only your location?

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 32 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerofire wrote:

My local Burger King has it enabled when I stepped in yesterday. Maybe it is only your location?

Maybe. Might be worth checking back in a few weeks in any case.

Message 33 of 36
rcrawfo2
Established Member

Glad I have a Samsung phone. Samsung stores "most" CC's and uses MST (Magnetic secure transmission).  This tech allows Samsung to bypass NFC and trick the reader into thinking the card was swiped. Most banks are on board for the last 2-3 years and work 98% of the places i go.  As far as tap and pay go, a racetrack down the street from me in "Dallas"  has tap and pay at the pump which is cool. 

Message 34 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rcrawfo2 wrote:

Glad I have a Samsung phone. Samsung stores "most" CC's and uses MST (Magnetic secure transmission).  This tech allows Samsung to bypass NFC and trick the reader into thinking the card was swiped. Most banks are on board for the last 2-3 years and work 98% of the places i go.  As far as tap and pay go, a racetrack down the street from me in "Dallas"  has tap and pay at the pump which is cool. 

Honestly, NFC is still accepted way more often than I expected (I was expecting 50% at best, and quite possibly less than that). I think the vast majority of these shutdowns will be temporary until the certifications are in place. For me, at least, most of the places where I can't use NFC are the ones where using any form of mobile payment would be problematic anyway (like drive throughs or restaurants).

That said, MST still does have its uses, especially if you live in an area of the country where the holdouts (Walmart, Kroger, etc.) are the most commonly visited stores.

Message 35 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

To update, contactless was working at a different BK location that uses the same POS system as the ones mentioned before. Perhaps BK figured out the issue and/or received the necessary certifications. Cat Very Happy

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.