Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Citi Credit card going ons

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange Citi Credit card going ons

Hello everyone,

Been checking out these boards for a while now, I have a story I just had to tell and love to get input on. OK here goes; I applied for a Citi Platinum card for a ring for my girlfriend. (I was denied, 622 TU ,649 EQ score.) So I tired a few other CC companies, got a few. None with the limit I needed. So I thought why not just get a loan for what I need. (Ring was $3000). Well I called Citi Financial, they approved me for 5k with a 20% IR, high I know.  I didn’t need 5K only 3k, so I got my loan and the lady said I was approved for a citi credit card. Diamond rewards I think, so I said sure sign me up.  The question is how I get denied for the CC on-line only to get one 3 hours later after I signed the loan papers. Very strange

My credit history is a house got last year for 150k, a CC with a $300 limit, 20k car loan, no late payments in 4 years on anything,  some medical collections (2) from workers comp that have not been paid yet. They say my Utliz is 90%, But that’s on a house and car… Should I get some low level cards and just sit on them to get my Utl down? Any advice would be great thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Strange Citi Credit card going ons

Sometimes manual review will get you something you might not have gotten automatically. It is also possible that if you got in touch with the underwriters at citi (I'm sure there's a backdoor number on this site somewhere) that they would change their mind about your app for the plat MC.
Message 2 of 5
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

LOL, I applied 5 times with B of A for a CC and was declined every time.  I opened up a checking account with them, deposited $500 and they instantly approved me for a Platinum Plus Visa for $2000 CL.  You might want to consider paying off the 20% loan and using the CC for the ring.
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 3 of 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@unknown_entity wrote:
LOL, I applied 5 times with B of A for a CC and was declined every time. I opened up a checking account with them, deposited $500 and they instantly approved me for a Platinum Plus Visa for $2000 CL. You might want to consider paying off the 20% loan and using the CC for the ring.

I agree.

I was also denied by BOA many times. Then I ended up financing a car with them due to them offering the lowest interest rate. A couple days later they call me and offer a Platinum Plus Visa at $5500 with no inquiry. I said sure.

That was February. Now that card was converted into a World Points Mastercard with a $19,500 limit. My second highest CL, all with no inquiry and an initial denial.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the replies. I might just wait the citi card out, I called Chase back to Recon. It worked! I am a proud owner of a Chase card, small limit $500 dollars but oh well. My utilization is crap now, I feared CCs. So i must get that in check and try to hit 700 by next year.
  These boards are a great tool for me!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.