Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Comenity Bank CLD!!!

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Strange Comenity Bank CLD!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I will. I would imagine that I will get a letter in the mail any day since it has already been reported to the CRA. Hopefully some time this week.

Please report back once you receive the letter from them.  Potentially, just a bump on the road, but it's possible those accounts can eventually get a CLI in 6 months or so from now once the dust settles. 

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is messed up! I just checked my four Comenity cards and all are well at this time. I rarely use the store cards (A&F, Buckle, & Express) and the Sportsmans Guide Visa is seldom used. I just began using it for Netflix and Hulu.

Hope this works out for you.

Message 12 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Although the letter may provide insight, in most (if not all) cases with Comenity, they don't reverse the decision once they do this type of thing. Unfortunately this is not uncommon with people with several Comenity cards. See what the letter says, but likely your only recourse is going to be living with the reduced limits or just closing the accounts (or letting them go inactive). As mentioned above you may be able to get a CLI months down the road. With some lenders, when this type of thing occurs, you can fight it, but haven''t heard much success with Comenity.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar Comenity experience. My VS card is with them, I got a notification that my CL had dropped from 2500 to 100. No changes to credit, utilization, derogatory marks, etc. When I got the letter it said “no usable real estate accounts”...... interesting because I was 18 when I got the card and definitely had no real estate accounts on my bureaus lol. Anywho, I called and spoke with a supervisor with whom I plead my case and he also agreed that the letter made no sense. Within minutes he reinstated my credit limit back to the full amount and I’ve had no issues since. It may be worth while to wait for that letter so you have it to reference if/when you call.
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got the letter in the mail yesterday. It advised that my credit line(s) were decreased due to excessive inquiries. I called in and asked to speak with a manager. The manager asked "Why I was so actively seeking credit when I have ample credit available?". I advised that I have a total of 7 inquiries on my credit file and 5 are recent from where I purchased a new car. I advised if they took a look they would see the inquiries were all on the same day from different automobile lenders and that there was a new auto trade line reflected within 30 days. The manager then told me that was "excessive inquiries" and that "the credit bureau provided the information". I asked if they could restore my credit to the original limts and was told "No. That my accounts would be reviewed periodically for a credit increase. If it happens you will be notified on your statement that you have received an increase". This is just crazy that a bank would think that 7 inquiries is extremely excessive espically when five are in the same day from an auto lender. I guess this bank is having financial troubles and does not want to keep customers. Oh well. I had them close down all 5 of my accounts. I wanted to get something to replace the Williams Sonoma VISA. So I went with somewhere else I shop all the time. Applied for the REI Mastercard (Believe it's issued through US Bank?). Was approved for $9000. Think I will just avoid comenity bank from here on out!

Message 15 of 23
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'd stop shopping at the five places where you had these cards. If they're going to affiliate with a bank that makes decisions like this, they don't deserve your business.

When we see a thread like this, we can usually pinpoint something the OP did that was "wrong." Not in this case, though.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow? This is certainly the first bank/experience I've seen that takes automobile inquiries into consideration for something of this nature. Especially even after explaining. I'm sorry to hear

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear op, I know it’s very disappointing. 

Just remember, the retailers had nothing to do with Comenity’s action. If anything, they want your limits to stay intact bc they want your business. 

Message 18 of 23
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The retailers have nothing to do with the AA (adverse action). But they're the ones that choose to affiliate with banks that do this. Smiley Happy

A credit card is supposed to make shopping at a particular store more attractive. This advantage is now gone.

Message 19 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Well, the advantage isn't necessarily gone per se since these particular establishments (or any for that matter) still take other major CCs aside from their own retail versions. The retail versions, while nice in the sense of loyalty rewards, coupons, etc., also come with astronomical APRs and/or limited acceptance. Some retail loyalty programs are also offered to non-retail cardholders as well. Plus, one could still earn cashback or other forms of rewards (insert your favorite card here) by using other payment methods and still come close or ahead.

Boycotting the stores for the sake of principle of Comenity's AA isn't really going to hit their bottom line. This is simply like hitting a battleship with a pebble.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.