cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange backdating dilemma. Need advice....

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: Strange backdating dilemma. Need advice....

OhioCPA,

"With backdating, the first card often comes with the current year. This happened to me in 2011 when I opened three cards, the first showed the member since date as 2011, the other two 1984. All were backdated to 84."

So what are you saying? If I apply for a personal card it would say 2013 at first and then automatically reset to the older year later? I don't understand. 

I actually called a Amex CSR (SPG account phone number) and asked about appying for a personal card and backdating. She said it wouldn't be a problem....and to just remind the application taker of it and it should work fine. Is that not true?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 11 of 14
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Maybe a family member made you an AU on his/her Amex and never told you about it.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 12 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Well, after hashing out this matter here and at other credit forums, the best and most logical advice seems to be to call Amex and innocently just ask for a replacement card due to damage for one of the cards I have still dated 2012 (on the card itself). The person who suggested this was  very explicit about NOT saying the card was lost or stolen so as to not get any higher up departments involved. 

This provides a way to indirectly get an answer without really asking the question....the question being "Is 1993 now the bona fide member date for all my cards?" By simply asking for a replacement card due to damage, Amex will simply generate a new card and mail it to me. If the Amex system does indeed (somehow) now have me as a member since 93, the replacement card should issue with the 1993 member date. If this happens, then I should be able to get a personal card and give my AAoA a serious boost with a "brand new 20 year old account". 

Still, part of me wonders if they have my identity somehow mixed up with someone. After all, the SPG Amex Biz card I have SEEMS to have triggered this (I could be wrong on that) and that application was held up til I called to verify the correct mailing which was somehow not correct in their system. Coincidence? I don't know. I hope so. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 13 of 14
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Good luck on keeping your great backdate!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.