Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange message from Amex

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Strange message from Amex

Bottom line I think it was somehow related to my being in POT direct, and the larger purchase being automatically enrolled. Apparently, once you have a POT balance they start getting jittery if you haven't made a recent payment, even if no payment is due.

That's my guess.

So going forward I'll make payments when no payment is due, just to appease the Amex POT monster.

And I'll stick with POT Select, as opposed to Direct, so nothing goes into POT unless I make a conscious decision to put it there.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 53
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I dont think it's an error. I've seen posts by other people who got this same email, and some even got a call to pay down their balance if they wanted to continue using card, even though payment wasnt due yet

They were nowhere near what Amex would allow them to charge and never late with them, so no clue what triggers it. 

I think Addie was the last one to post about this, maybe 10 days ago. 

Message 12 of 53
NRB525
Super Contributor

I will second the CSR comment that it is just a glitch. They do have access to certain data on their screen, such as suggested catch up payment amount.

There has been no data provided about amounts charged. If the amount of the charge turns out to be $50,000 then I might change my suggestion.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 53
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I dont think it's an error. I've seen posts by other people who got this same email, and some even got a call to pay down their balance if they wanted to continue using card, even though payment wasnt due yet

They were nowhere near what Amex would allow them to charge and never late with them, so no clue what triggers it. 

Yes but in the recent post the email specified specific transactions and balances, mine had nothing of that sort.

Message 14 of 53
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
I will second the CSR comment that it is just a glitch. They do have access to certain data on their screen, such as suggested catch up payment amount.

There has been no data provided about amounts charged. If the amount of the charge turns out to be $50,000 then I might change my suggestion.

The purchase that went into POT Direct was around $950; my POT limit is $35k.

Message 15 of 53
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Yes but in the recent post the email specified specific transactions and balances, mine had nothing of that sort.

Theirs was the same. I think it's just a template letter when they want money.

Hopefully it's an error and they are not trying to squeeze payment when one is not due, but if you're having increased utilization across other cards, they might be twitching.

You have EX subscription, check for increase in SPs

Message 16 of 53
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol @Anonymous MonsterSmiley Wink😄
Message 17 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps they are having liquidity problems like was suggested in another thread. Smiley LOL

Unless you've done something totally out of the norm that has shown up on their most recent SP, then It probably was just a glitch. 

The $35K POT should allow you more leeway than those who were hovering around the $5K POT mark. 

Though I don't know how much you put through the Gold monthly, I doubt Amex would get too nervous over a few K's.

Message 18 of 53
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
You've been SYNCronizedSmiley Wink

Dont say that.

Yesteerday I got what looked like a phishing attempt on my Synch/Amazon card.  Couple hours later got another email from Synch saying 1st email sent in error.  Both emails looked fraudish

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 19 of 53
Remedios
Credit Mentor

They would get very nervous because they do not "look" only at their cards.
If cards from other lenders show spike in utilization, they will twitch. Also, keep in mind that they are probably not looking at percentages only, but also at raw amounts and speed at which balances are going up/down.
I'm not privy to what's on SJs CR, but I would bet half the turkey they are doing SPs like they have nothing better to do.
Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.