cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stranger's Credit Card in my Mailbox-Help!

tag
sweetschuni
New Contributor

Stranger's Credit Card in my Mailbox-Help!

So, I work remotely from my home and my son brings in the mail for me today and I swiftly open it all while distracted with work and other day-to-day activities only to discover that I've opened a piece of mail that was not addressed to me. Not unusual, happens from time to time right...but the letter had a credit card attached that I didn't apply for, GASP! With someone else's name in the address to field and someone else's name on the credit card (Well's Fargo/Badcock & More) but along with my mailing address. So I contact Wells Fargo and explain and immediately ask if this was Wells Fargo's mistake or did someone intentionally use my information, of course no response with many thanks and apologies but it has to be researched and then I will be contacted at a later time with more info.

How often does this happen? I'm super concerned as I've finally gotten my credit in decent shape and have had to make use of fraud alerts in the past for having an unknown address attached to my credit report about 4 years ago. I may have been overly cautious about doing that but I felt it necessary. Have any of you ever had a stranger's credit card in your mail box before? I am petrified. Should I be or am I being overly cautious again? Help!

Licensed REALTOR in the state of Georgia - "Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing" Theodore Roosevelt

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Re: Stranger's Credit Card in my Mailbox-Help!

Well, silly question but how long have you lived at your current address?  It could be either the applicant forgot to update their Wells Fargo profile after moving, or maybe WF made an error and used a previous address?

Message 2 of 3
sweetschuni
New Contributor

Re: Stranger's Credit Card in my Mailbox-Help!

I am so hoping that it's something as simple as that, fingers crossed! I've been at this home for exactly 2 years as of this month Smiley Happy

Licensed REALTOR in the state of Georgia - "Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing" Theodore Roosevelt

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.