Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy to graduate capital one secured

tag
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Strategy to graduate capital one secured

I've been reading around the forum and noticed conflicting information when it comes to capital one secured graduating and CLI's. Some people have never had one graduate or get a CLI and others have gotten CLIs and a graduation right at 10-11 months.

This got me to thinking there must be some strategy or the ones who got the graduations used the card a certain way, so I'm trying to figure out what that may be.

If you have had a capital one secured graduate or have gotten consistent CLI's on the card, please share the way you used your card. Whether you charge it up to the limit or close before the statement cut or if you use it minimally.

I've read the cap 1 likes to see swipes, so I'm trying to make a lot of small purchases and since I don't want my utilization to get too high, I have been making micropayments multiple times a month with a PIF auto pay on the due date. I don't know if this is good or not as I have not had the card but just over a month.

If you have any strategy in this area that has helped you, please share.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Strategy to graduate capital one secured

I would do one of two things..

1-Use it and pay it in full multiple times a month. No joke burn it up and pay 8-10 payments through the card a month. This should help graduate it quickly as a friend of mine did it. It depends on your credit though and every situation is different.

2-Burn it up and put multiple payments through it a month... then apply for a quicksilver after 3 statements. They should grant you a decent line while your other secured card grows and shows.

Every situation is different but from what I have seen if they show you using it like its on fire and continually paying it they'll unsecure it. I think they start checking after 6 statements now. 

Message 2 of 7
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would do one of two things..

1-Use it and pay it in full multiple times a month. No joke burn it up and pay 8-10 payments through the card a month. This should help graduate it quickly as a friend of mine did it. It depends on your credit though and every situation is different.

2-Burn it up and put multiple payments through it a month... then apply for a quicksilver after 3 statements. They should grant you a decent line while your other secured card grows and shows.

Every situation is different but from what I have seen if they show you using it like its on fire and continually paying it they'll unsecure it. I think they start checking after 6 statements now. 

Thanks, that was what I was thinking might be the way to go. I've heard that capital one likes a lot of swipes, which makes sense as they make more money that way. I'm going to bump up my usage and just pay it down every few days to keep my utilization low.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received my secured VISA in March. I use it several times a month and always PIF. Last week, I pre qualitied&approved for QuickSilver1 for $300 and $500 cashrewards card with NFCU.
Message 4 of 7
aircobra
Regular Contributor

So, dumb question, but can you still swipe a card that has a chip? Or are they essentially the same thing to a creditor?

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 5 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@aircobra, all cards with magnetic stripes can be swiped in the traditional way. When it's available, the chip is preferable to all parties concerned, i.e. the customer, the merchant, and the bank.

In the case of this thread and often on this forum, "swipe" is used as a generic term for any type of transaction — including but not limited to true swipes, chip transactions, contactless transactions, and card not present transactions.

Message 6 of 7
aircobra
Regular Contributor

Okay, cool. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting transactions by not swiping.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.