Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy to pay 39K in CC debt ?

tag
mbauza2219

Strategy to pay 39K in CC debt ?

Hello,

My credit has taken a nasty toll due to high UTL (bought a home March 2021, opened a home business July 2021, expenses all over!!!!). I have 39k in CC debt, all current (no lates or collections), and wanted to get your advice as to how I should pay these so that my credit score can rapidly increase. Here is the curve ball, sigh....i have to re-do my home deck due to safety issues (and clients can get hurt etc) and literally falling apart and it's going to cost anywhere from 13k to 15k. I wanted to use the cash I have saved for the deck to pay it in cash, but maybe I should use that to pay the CC and instead finance the deck? However, I cannot do financing in the deck since my credit score is so low right now. Sigh.  

Also, I thought maybe I could bring my score up and then open a new credit card and do a BT. This way, I can at least take a bit more time to pay the CC without having to pay interest rates and keep some of the cash as savings? i'm worried about not having cash at hand or CC in case of an emergency etc. I've also heard some companies can lower APR but then they make you close your account, i will call my CC companies and see if i can negotiate a lower APR without hurting my account. I've also heard that if you pay off some cards 100% after been maxed out for a while, the bank closes the card...i'm worried about this too. I hope I'm making sense.

Here is the breakdown of what i owe and also cash etc.

NASA               $9,470   (CL $9,700)  11.6% APR

Nordstrom      $917      (CL $1,000)  25.9% APR

Alliant              $2,279   (CL $2,500) 16.4% APR

Discover          $5,845   (CL $6,000) 13.99% APR

Discover          $4,921   (CL  $5,000) 0% ends in June 2022

BB&T               $6,387   (CL $6,500)  15.4% APR

US Bank          $4,894   (CL $5,000)  0% ends July 2022 

Jetblue            $4,635  (CL $4,750)   25.24% APR

Cash reserves:

8k saved (was planning to use for the deck, but maybe I should use it for CC and finance deck?)

3k monthly from reg job to pay solely for CC debt (work from home)

2k guaranteed from new home business to pay CC debt (i'm making a good 7-10k but have been using the cash for bills/expenses and saving)

3.5k bonus coming mid-July from regular job

Any advice is much appreciated. I also hope I posted in the right section!

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Strategy to pay 39K in CC debt ?

Only rapid way to get scores up is pay off the high util cards. Make the deck off limits until debt is in the past. You racked it up and now its time to get it down. No really other way to put it. Least there's no baddies. Main goal is pay down those cards. Never go back to the swipe fever. Once thats done. Then its deck time. Spread out the available $ to get below 89% then 68% and so on. Lock the cards up or give to a family member to hold to so no more use is put on them until its all said and done.

Message 2 of 45
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@mbauza2219 wrote: i have to re-do my home deck due to safety issues (and clients can get hurt etc)

That is a liability! You may need to prioritize that 1st!

Have you tried to get Home Equity loan? Try Credit Unions, they are much better than banks!

See if you can get 50K loan to pay for everything! They use your house at collateral! (That was one of the options that CU gave me when I was in your predicament)

Also with your UTI there is no way that you can qualify for a CC that would give you enough credit for BT.

Message 3 of 45
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Going to move this to the main CC forum for more input
Message 4 of 45
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

If it were me i would pay off the 2 zero int cards first, once that interest starts kicking in it makes things a bit more difficult.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 45
JM427
Contributor

Where are your scores at?  With the available resources that you are able to muster on a monthly basis, it might be that you could do a personal loan through Happy Money or even better a Credit Union, Happy Money is not that bad on interest and if you could do that, you could pay off the cards, then take all of your resources and knock the personal loan out in short order.  If you let them pay the cards off, they are generally a little more lenient since they control the elimination of the credit card debt.  Anyways, just my two cents, if not this, then I would focus on getting the cards below the thresholds that @FireMedic1 mentioned.

FICO8 Scores as of 2020 JULY 14:

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 3:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 3:
Message 6 of 45
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

As someone else mentioned, forget about the deck. Draw some tape over the entry way and shut it down. You no longer have a deck.  That is not a priority to repair if no one has access to it. A deck is a luxury. Do you want your debt paid off, or are you concerned about maintaining a luxury?  Besides, if you put the deck off and close it off, you can wait for construction and materials prices to go down in a year or two. 

Message 7 of 45
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@mbauza2219 wrote:

Here is the curve ball, sigh....i have to re-do my home deck due to safety issues (and clients can get hurt etc) and literally falling apart and it's going to cost anywhere from 13k to 15k. I wanted to use the cash I have saved for the deck to pay it in cash, but maybe I should use that to pay the CC and instead finance the deck? However, I cannot do financing in the deck since my credit score is so low right now. Sigh.  

The deck seems to be an issue in this thread! Is the deck REALLY a necessity? Or is it, as some people have said, just a luxury that you can close off and not use for the time being? If it's the latter, I absolutely agree that you should tape/rope it off, put 'keep out' signs up all over it, and stop letting anyone use it. Please clarify whether the deck is necessary or could be shut down for a while.

To those of you who think a deck is just an unnecessary luxury--not necessarily! My daughter's 2-story home has a 2-story deck as well. They had it rebuilt last year (and it cost much more than the OP's estimates). It's definitely a necessity if they want to exit the house! There's no other way to get outside (in the back). Let's see what the OP says about their deck.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 45
Kforce
Valued Contributor

1)  Use all savings, funds, & bonus to fix deck and

eat ~$3,500 in credit card repayment interest over a year or more.

2)  Use all savings, bonus and funds to attack CC debt, pay off in 5-6 months (~$1700 interest) and then

get a loan, zero interest card, etc for fixing the deck.  Saves a lot of money however puts off the deck for 6 months.

With that utilization, a decent new loan is very unlikely unless it is a secured loan, so the choices becomes few.

Message 9 of 45
unsungivy
Established Contributor

My vote would be to pay off the CCs (JetBlue and Nordstrom especially... If they close them they close them, but you're paying crazy high interest), get your scores up, and then finance the deck. Some of your interest rates are very high, and you will likely be able to get the deck financed for half that, even with a weak credit score (based on what my friend has been dealing with... copper wiring replacement she got 2.99% financing, HVAC for 8.99% financing, and personal loans (two) for 11.99%.)

I just don't understand the logic behind people who have been "saving up" and yet they are paying crazy interest every month... you're not saving anything. You're losing money monthly while the means to minimize your loss is just sitting there, at best earning you back a fraction of the interest you're shelling out. Do people not do basic math these days? Genuine question, not trying to attack the OP... I've run into this logic from people irl.

Always prioritize paying off high interest cards before low interest cards... why would you pay off 0% interest before 25.9% interest unless it's a "deferred payment" situation. Answer: you shouldn't. If it's deferred payment however in which you will suddenly get hit by the full interest if it's not paid off by that date then yeah, those get paid first... but just barely (do the math so that you're making payments that will pay them off in full just before it all hits.) Otherwise, pay off the highest interest first, or at least pay it down if you can't pay it off all at once. It's what is costing you the most even if emotionally you'd like to minimize the number of cards with high util, from a pure "maximize your payoff" angle pay off highest interest first. Getting your utils in shape will happen as you continue to pay. Right now everything is so high that I just think you should tackle it from the angle of making your payments go as far as they can.

SD - Biz -
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.