Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck after chapter seven

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stuck after chapter seven

So here’s where I’m at I’m roughly a year and a half post a finalized chapter 7BK. Scores about a 620-640 but I can’t seem to get any serious credit lines. I have a few small cards open but all major credit cards won’t let me in. I’m prepping for buying a house as a first time buyer once my two year waiting is up but how can I further my credit score from here? Biggest cc is $650 and a furniture trade line of $1500 also have 2 auto loans open
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stuck after chapter seven

most people start with secured card, from either discover, capital 1 or local CU. Read their requriement to make sure you qualify.

you can also consider asking a friend or relative with good credit score to add you as a credit card AU.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As of right now I have a secured discover open one year,Cap one platinum and credit one just haven’t been able to get the discover unsecured or the cap one limit raised
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you check to see if your fico score changed since you opened those account?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s definitely jumped since BK it was probably a 550 going in
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it seems you have made good progress. Im not entirely sure why at your current score you still can't get unsecured loans. See if anybody more knowledgeable can answer.

In the meantine, it sounds like you did tried to apply for some CC and got denied, did they say the reason for denial?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony controls a lot of the cards I’d use and I discharged multiple cards from them. I haven’t really tried an unsecured loan I do have a credit builder with self lender though
Message 7 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So here’s where I’m at I’m roughly a year and a half post a finalized chapter 7BK. Scores about a 620-640 but I can’t seem to get any serious credit lines. I have a few small cards open but all major credit cards won’t let me in. I’m prepping for buying a house as a first time buyer once my two year waiting is up but how can I further my credit score from here? Biggest cc is $650 and a furniture trade line of $1500 also have 2 auto loans open

Whos the furniture credit with? Hope its not a consumer finance loan. That will hinder you.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tidewater through rooms to go
Message 9 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP and welcome to MyFICO

Since your goal is to buy a house in another 6 months or so, I suggest that you not apply for anymore credit. Lenders don’t like that.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.