cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Citi Forward vs Regular Citi Forward?

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Student Citi Forward vs Regular Citi Forward?

I'm wondering what the difference in credit limits between the student version of the Forward and the regular non-student Forward card?

I'm a college student and my income is only 17K-ish, so I was wondering which one I should apply for. My friend was recently approved for a $2,500 student Forward, when his only other card was a $300 secured BoA card, so it makes me wonder what I'd get approved for since my highest limit is $4,000. His income is 20K, not much of a difference.

Is there a lower "max" credit limit on the student than the regular? For example, will I only be able to get a CLI up to say.. 5k, and then all my requests will be denied? Does CIti upgrade the student card to a regular card when you graduate, or will it be a student card forever?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: Student Citi Forward vs Regular Citi Forward?

Go for the student version, it is easier to be approved for and basically the same card. You can probably product change after awhile.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 2 of 10
CardinalRules
New Contributor

I had the same questions. My only card was a $900 card from my bank. They gave me a generous $2500 limit, and I think I put less than $20k income. When I called they said they can upgrade the card to the regular version, but they didn't say when. I'm assuming it's when I graduate. That said, it earns the same amount of points, and as far as I know, there isn't a limit on the credit line, so everything should otherwise be the same. (I would definitely apply for it, I'm also a college student, and it's by far my favorite card to use, the 5x points on food and Amazon is awesome)

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 3 of 10
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

I would go for the regular one if u think your credit score is good enough. The difference is the 10000 bonus points when u sign up for the regular one, while there isn't any sign up bonus for the student version.
Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 4 of 10
NewSurrender
Contributor

@charleeislegend wrote:
I would go for the regular one if u think your credit score is good enough. The difference is the 10000 bonus points when u sign up for the regular one, while there isn't any sign up bonus for the student version.

That's the answer I was looking for, thank you. By the time I apply, my credit will be good enough to where I can't justify passing up on $100 worth of gift cards. Thank you.

Message 5 of 10
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

The regular application asks for student information as well. So if you don't get approved for the regular it automatically tries for student version.

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 6 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I would just apply for the student card and have it converted later when you finish school and get a job. The cards may be the same and ask you the same info but Citi Student Forward is geared toward students and they won't be surprised getting your application and seeing your yearly income at 16k. You're more likely to get approved b/c they aren't expecting you to be making a lot of money being a student. Just my two cents.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 7 of 10
CardinalRules
New Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

@charleeislegend wrote:

That's the answer I was looking for, thank you. By the time I apply, my credit will be good enough to where I can't justify passing up on $100 worth of gift cards. Thank you.

This is the furthest thing from the truth. I have the student version, and I have the 10,000 points promo. The only real difference between the student and non regular is that its much easier to be approved as a student. That's it. The application for the Forward is the same whether or not you're a student, what determines if you get the student card or not is if you indicate that you're a student. Everything else is the same.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 8 of 10
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

Nope you dont get the sign up bonus, just the extra 1k points for paying on time and 1200 points for paperless statements. You must have the regular forward.

Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 9 of 10
Link2k
Valued Member

The student card is harder to get approved for. They verify that you attend the school listed. If for any reason they can't verify through their system you have to send in a copy of your school ID or current semester registration info.  You can be approved for the regular Forward on less than $10k income so at $17k I would say skip the student hassle and apply for the regular.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.