Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student cards?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student cards?

I wouldn't worry about student tags on cards.

If you can qualify for them, wrap your arms around them an go on with life is my recommendation.

I'm debating seeing how much of a student I have to be to get a Forward still even if I know I should just be hanging out credit wise. Cat Tongue

        
Message 11 of 18
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I had a Discover student card for 2 years and just this past week did a PC to the non-student It card. They did it over the phone with no hassle.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 12 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Revelate:

Citi didnt ask for any proof of enrollment for my forward.
Message 13 of 18
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Discover actually asked for proof of enrollment when I applied for the non-student version, just to help adjust their expectations of income.

Also, I've seen people put it down, but I've been very happy with my Amazon.com Visa. Discover isn't excepted everywhere (like my college), and getting 2% on dining without having the score and income to get a Sapphire is very nice. It doesn't hurt that I get my textbooks off of Amazon.

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 14 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:
Revelate:

Citi didnt ask for any proof of enrollment for my forward.

Yeah, but I try to avoid fraudulent applications.  Smiley Happy

I'm going to poke along two classes at UCLA this summer, and thinking about going back part-time to finish the degree over the next 3-4 years as looking like I'm going to be working in the exact same company and doing the exact same thing where I can dictate my schedule somewhat.

Mortgage first, random credit tricks later.  May just decide to pickup another part-time job instead.  

        
Message 15 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Oh.

I assumed when you said "how much of a student" that you were part time or something. XD

In no way suggesting a fraudulent app :-P
Message 16 of 18
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Nowadays, I try to avoid applying for student credit cards. Since I've managed to established credit in the prime sector, I try not to bother with the student tags even though they're are easier to qualify. For my current credit union student visa, I am only limited to a $2,000.00 maximum. They are much more cautious about giving me a higher credit limit since it was a "student account," according to the representative.

When I walked into the bank last month, they reccomended I apply for their platinum card since my score and income qualified. They even said the student card wasn't flexible. I did not want to take another inquiry, so I settled for a CLI to $1,000.00 and placed it in the sock drawer.

When I first applied for this student card, I had an initial $500.00 credit limit. I needed to bring in a copy of my paystub to show proof of income and my class schedule to show proof of enrollment. 

Message 17 of 18
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

like jsu recommended, Wells Fargo is a good choice for college cards.

They do not have those fabulous rewards or anything, but their interest rates are on the lower end, esp. for college cards.

When I had the college card back then, they kept extending my 0% APR offer as well. Not sure if they still extend those offers it now since the economy isn't as good as it was 5-7 years ago, but in general it's a nice prime bank card to start with. I cant remember the interest rates I have right now at the top of my head, but it is in the single digit region if I remember correctly, so it's kinda nice to have a card to leave balances on if I ever need to.

Do check out Citi, Bank of America and Discover as well. They have good options as well. Bank of America is able to product change too from what I was told. Not too sure about Discover and Citi. You can try calling their new accounts department and ask. You can always get more than 1 card Smiley Happy

I too started with a Wells Fargo Credit Card. I had a 6 month 0% APR intro w/ a 15.15% APR after and 1% cash back. Initial credit limit was $700 and it was bumped up to $900 a year after. I have a checking/savings account with them and had a thin credit file when I initially apped.

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.