Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student trying to get Apple financing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student trying to get Apple financing

Hi everyone! I'm trying to finance an Apple MacBook Pro for school, which by itself costs about 1700 but after taxes and Apple care and everything else, it probably will be closer to 2000. I do have enough money to pay for it fully right now but I would prefer to finance so I can build my credit at the same time. I'm 18 years old with a part time job. I work about 20 hours a week and I make around 250 a week. The only expense I have right now is my cell phone bill which is about 120. The rest of my paycheck goes in my checking account but I honestly don't spend a lot of my money. I make minor 10 or 20 dollar purchases here and there, but otherwise I'm very responsible with my money. I have a TU score of about 680. I've only had about 6 months of credit history. I have a Kohl's credit card with a 300 dollar limit and a capital one credit card also with a 300 dollar limit. Each of which I never carry a balance on. I have 4 total hard inquiries. All in all with this information in mind would I be able to get approved for an Apple Barclays card and finance a MacBook Pro? Thanks for reading and looking forward to hearing from anyone who can help!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student trying to get Apple financing

Some advice..if you have the money just pay for it...paying ridiculous interest in the name of "building my credit" is a bad idea..plenty of time to build your credit..use the other cards monthly, and pay in full..done.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Some advice..if you have the money just pay for it...paying ridiculous interest in the name of "building my credit" is a bad idea..plenty of time to build your credit..use the other cards monthly, and pay in full..done.

You need to read up on the card OP is asking about. They offer 0% financing (Mod cut-not here its not FSR, thanks for your understanding)

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having debt over not having debt is just stupid. nothing more to say.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Posted this in another thread, but leverage can be good.

Borrowing money that you have already works if you get better ROI than you pay out in interest (easy at 0%.)

Leverage that is used to effectively make more money than you pay in interest is also good. A Macbook Pro is either an essential business tool or a frivolous luxury, depending on how you use it. Mine makes me quite a bit of money, so would be an acceptable purchase to finance. I didn't because 2k isn't enough for me to care about, but a computer to use in university is only a small fraction of the money that most are borrowing at the time and simultaneously a stretch for cashflow. If you've got a plan to pay for it and for how it will be better than an alternative, I don't see why you wouldn't finance it.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I may have to disagree with you. The card offers 0 percent interest for 24 months which would equal about 80 dollars a month which I would definitely be able to afford. I'll most likely even be able to pay it off it in half of that time. So I don't think I'd really consider it "having debt" per se
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

climbfire I agree with you and I do want to finance it. I'm only wondering if I'll be able to get approved for a 2000 dollar limit on a Barclaycard. My question is not a matter of "should I finance?" It's a matter of "will I be able to?"
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

just apply and find out..nobody here will know for sure...worst case is they say no and you move on.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

navyitaly well no not exactly. I have 4 inquiries in only about 6 months so I feel like adding another without opening a new account is something I should avoid
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

there's 3 different reports so 4 inquiries mean nothing..i have way more and i can get anything i want...theres more to it than inquiries...your issue is going to be income and basis of repayment...

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.