Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student with a thin file

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student with a thin file

I'm a student with about three months credit history as well. From what I understand, WF likes to see a previous relationship with them. My first (and so far only) credit card was actually the WF cashback college card. I had a checking account with them since I was in middle school, and was approved with a $1,200 cl. Also, the rewards for the first six months are pretty good with 3% on gas, grocieries, and drugstores. However, if I were you I would hold off on applying for any card until you generate a Fico score (I know, waiting really sucks), since you already have three hps and it could really hurt to have another hp on your account. With that said if you absolutely had to apply for a Visa card right now, I think it'd be in your best interst to apply for a secured card.

Message 11 of 42
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a student with about three months credit history as well. From what I understand, WF likes to see a previous relationship with them. My first (and so far only) credit card was actually the WF cashback college card. I had a checking account with them since I was in middle school, and was approved with a $1,200 cl. Also, the rewards for the first six months are pretty good with 3% on gas, grocieries, and drugstores. However, if I were you I would hold off on applying for any card until you generate a Fico score (I know, waiting really sucks), since you already have three hps and it could really hurt to have another hp on your account. With that said if you absolutely had to apply for a Visa card right now, I think it'd be in your best interst to apply for a secured card.

I totally agree with this statement.  Wait until you have generated a fico score.  There is no rush and no need to generate wasteful hp at this point.  Give it some more time and you will get there.  I believe it is 6 months and you are half way there.  You have Discover, which is a great card to have.  Use that card responsible and they will treat you well.  Remember this credit game is a marathon not a sprint.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 12 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Welcome to the site. You wait until your Discover account gives you a FICO score, which will probably come around the 6 month period. Keep utilization low, make payments on time. When 6 months comes, try the SP CLI. At the same time, you can either apply for another card then and get a rather low SL or wait another 6 months until you've had a year of good history, which would get you better approvals. I recommend waiting the full year and just trying to get CLIs on the secured card for now. Discover secured is as good as it gets...you're not really missing out on many benefits besides the credit line. I started out like you, a student with just one lowly $500 CL non-secured card. I spent well and got 3 HP CLIs (didn't know about HP vs. SP then) before I went out to apply for more. Got everything I wanted and more. History don't come quickly obviously!

P.S. An HP is not a "baddie." Baddies are missed payments, bankruptcies, chargeoffs, stuff that is actually really bad for scores. An HP is just an HP.

Are you saying a CLI is possible without increasing my deposit? Thanks for the heads up on HP vs. SP CLI's. 

@newhis wrote:

Why you want a Visa card ASAP? Is that because some places do not take Discover? 

I know you don't want another secured card but you already app for BofA, maybe you can request to use the same HP and get a secured card.

If you want to max your score, go with the secured loan/pay 91%/keep for 5 years, explained in a thread under 'understanding FICO score' forum.

Wait 6-7 months, maybe you can unsecured both Discover and BofA at that time. Even ask for CLI. Your score should be mid 700s. You will be able to get other cards with good limits. Good luck.

Yup the acceptance rate is my only real beef with Discover. I would like to retire my visa debit card. I was at the time approved instead for the BofA secured card but I couldn't bring myself to pay the $39 AF. Do you have a link to the secured loan thread?

@Anonymous wrote:

@garagebandking wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Could try for Navy Federal as it seems they can be good for builders but not sure on short history. Congrats on getting a Discover , secured or not, you got a foot in. Maybe pick up a store card or two just to build some history and then maybe go back to Cap One. Good luck on your journeySmiley Happy

I wish I were eligable for them! And thank you I'm looking forward to my graduation letter someday! I was considering the Amazon.com store card but wasn't sure if it's worth the inquiry even if I could be certain of approval. Thanks Smiley Happy

If you want in with Navy Federal...you can use the Navy League San Diego affiliation that's talked about on the forum...pretty easy process (will cost you $25)...but I just went through it and it was very worthwhile.

I second this approach! It does not take long and Navy FCU is very much worth it! They are my PFI (primary finincial institution). Beyond that I would try for the Sportsman Guide Visa from Comenity, they are generally pretty flexible on who they will accept. You also mentioned you were a student I would suggest thinking about getting the Amazon Prime Card, it is pretty easy to get through Synchrony, and actually has useful rewards (5% cash back!!!) to us students it is a great option, I do not believe you would have an issue being approved. Good luck on your credit journey. 

I might be eligible through family to I need to make a few calls haha. If not I'll probably go through the affiliation route although I hate to put down $25 and get declined. If I was guaranteed approval for the Amazon store card I would probably get it as I wouldn't have any issue putting something on it each month. Does anybody know if they pull FICO or what?

Message 13 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BirchBarlow wrote:

I wouldn't write off the prime lenders just yet.  BoA and Chase are known for being difficult to get into without excellent credit.  If you can't get approved for a fair credit card you should still be able to get a secured card.  Both Cap1 and Citi offer a secured MasterCard so I would start there since you said you need a card to cover places that don't accept Discover.  Assuming you pay on time and in full every month, you should eventually be able to graduate to a rewards card with Citi or Cap1.

When I actually went into a Chase branch I was pretty much told that I shouldn't apply with them for a couple years. I probably wouldn't have any trouble getting another secured card, but with some of the never-going-to-graduate stories I've heard, I am reluctant. Hearing tales of graduations is why I favored Discover.

@Pway wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree with this statement.  Wait until you have generated a fico score.  There is no rush and no need to generate wasteful hp at this point.  Give it some more time and you will get there.  I believe it is 6 months and you are half way there.  You have Discover, which is a great card to have.  Use that card responsible and they will treat you well.  Remember this credit game is a marathon not a sprint.  

Yup the waiting game sucks but I do know it's the smart thing to do here. Prince, you said you got that high a CL with no file?

Message 14 of 42
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@newhis wrote:

Why you want a Visa card ASAP? Is that because some places do not take Discover? 

I know you don't want another secured card but you already app for BofA, maybe you can request to use the same HP and get a secured card.

If you want to max your score, go with the secured loan/pay 91%/keep for 5 years, explained in a thread under 'understanding FICO score' forum.

Wait 6-7 months, maybe you can unsecured both Discover and BofA at that time. Even ask for CLI. Your score should be mid 700s. You will be able to get other cards with good limits. Good luck.

Yup the acceptance rate is my only real beef with Discover. I would like to retire my visa debit card. I was at the time approved instead for the BofA secured card but I couldn't bring myself to pay the $39 AF. Do you have a link to the secured loan thread?

I got BofA secured with $39 AF, then did a chat and was able to add the Rewards to it before I even got the card (almost 3 years ago). With the rewards I got more than $39 for the AF and used BankAmeriDeals for extra cashback. At 7th month asked for unsecure. Started with 1k and 2 HP later (unsecure and CLI) it is at 10k. Also was able to remove the AF forever before it hit the next year.

The loan trick is to have a credit mix in your reports. With it you will get an average of 30 point jump. Here is the link:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756

it only works if you don't have an open loan. It works best if you don't have even a closed loan.

Good luck in you journey.

Message 15 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Welcome to the site. You wait until your Discover account gives you a FICO score, which will probably come around the 6 month period. Keep utilization low, make payments on time. When 6 months comes, try the SP CLI. At the same time, you can either apply for another card then and get a rather low SL or wait another 6 months until you've had a year of good history, which would get you better approvals. I recommend waiting the full year and just trying to get CLIs on the secured card for now. Discover secured is as good as it gets...you're not really missing out on many benefits besides the credit line. I started out like you, a student with just one lowly $500 CL non-secured card. I spent well and got 3 HP CLIs (didn't know about HP vs. SP then) before I went out to apply for more. Got everything I wanted and more. History don't come quickly obviously!

P.S. An HP is not a "baddie." Baddies are missed payments, bankruptcies, chargeoffs, stuff that is actually really bad for scores. An HP is just an HP.

Are you saying a CLI is possible without increasing my deposit? Thanks for the heads up on HP vs. SP CLI's. 

Yes but sorry, I got it wrong. Only Cap1 secured can get CLIs without increasing the deposit. My bad. Everything else I said still stands and it looks like that's everyone's recommendation. Wait the six months then decide what you may want to apply for.

Message 16 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also really look into Marvel MasterCard from Synchrony for your next card. It's a really good fit for most students who spend a lot on dining and entertainment. As mentioned, Synchrony is not hardass on approvals. If you are big on groceries or gas though, look elsewhere.
Message 17 of 42
brother7
Established Contributor

I have a friend with nothing on her credit report except for several hard inquiries from failed attempts to get credit. I confirmed this by checking her Credit Karma which listed zero accounts and was not able to generate a score.

Our first attempt to get her first credit card was Discover it (unsecured). Denied.

Our second attempt was the Capital One Platinum card. Approved with 300 SL.

With no credit score, I would recommend you apply for the Capital One Platinum card. What I like about this starter card is that if you treat it well, after your 6th statement, they'll bump up your CL. At the same 6 month mark, you can contact them and request a PC to Capital One Quicksilver, a nice 1.5% cashback card. I know 3 people who have done this so I know that it works.

Good luck in your search for card #2 Smiley Happy

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 18 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@newhis wrote:

I got BofA secured with $39 AF, then did a chat and was able to add the Rewards to it before I even got the card (almost 3 years ago). With the rewards I got more than $39 for the AF and used BankAmeriDeals for extra cashback. At 7th month asked for unsecure. Started with 1k and 2 HP later (unsecure and CLI) it is at 10k. Also was able to remove the AF forever before it hit the next year.

The loan trick is to have a credit mix in your reports. With it you will get an average of 30 point jump. Here is the link:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756

it only works if you don't have an open loan. It works best if you don't have even a closed loan.

Good luck in you journey.

Ah gotcha. They no longer have a record of my application so any chance to get that without another HP is gone.

I'll read into that, thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would also really look into Marvel MasterCard from Synchrony for your next card. It's a really good fit for most students who spend a lot on dining and entertainment. As mentioned, Synchrony is not hardass on approvals. If you are big on groceries or gas though, look elsewhere.

I'll take a look there. Thanks!

@brother7 wrote:

I have a friend with nothing on her credit report except for several hard inquiries from failed attempts to get credit. I confirmed this by checking her Credit Karma which listed zero accounts and was not able to generate a score.

Our first attempt to get her first credit card was Discover it (unsecured). Denied.

Our second attempt was the Capital One Platinum card. Approved with 300 SL.

With no credit score, I would recommend you apply for the Capital One Platinum card. What I like about this starter card is that if you treat it well, after your 6th statement, they'll bump up your CL. At the same 6 month mark, you can contact them and request a PC to Capital One Quicksilver, a nice 1.5% cashback card. I know 3 people who have done this so I know that it works.

Good luck in your search for card #2 Smiley Happy

Cap1 doing PC's? That would be awesome... If it wasn't for getting declined for the Journey Student I would be more optimistic for the Platinum. Hmm... I also have a concern about income. I am a full-time student with a part-time job so I do have income but it's not great.

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.