Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Study Abroad Credit Card

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Study Abroad Credit Card

Capital One Journey or Quicksilver

And some spare cash in EUR coins in case train travel is in the plan of the day.  If OP is traveling for a few days, then get a train pass at one of the staffed station offices. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next Credit Card for a 18 Year Old Student?

This is a duplicate post to one you made a week ago.  You probably should check that one.  Duplication of posts is confusing to other members trying to help you, and is a violation of this site's ToS.

Message 12 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply for Chase Freedom

If Approved, Apply for CSP right after.

I would also apply for Amex SPG or Everyday (SPG might be better for travel overseas!)

Message 13 of 16
degs138
Established Contributor

I would app for the Cap one QS and you won't have AF.  You should get at least a 2000 limit with your score, maybe higher.  If you're serious about the AMEX then you could go with the Delta Gold.  Amex does do large limits to thin files.  I had a friend in college get a 20k limit when she was 18.  It also has no FTF but has an AF.  I would app for Amex first then Cap one.  If you don't want the AF AMEX then I would go for Barclay Arrival and then QS.  In that order.  Barclay can be inquriy sensitive.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

18 year old college student here too! If you could provide your scores, that'd be helpful in helping us advise you what to get. However, with a ~730 (I think) when I applied, reporting $38k as my income, with a AAoA of ~2 years (AU on my mom's cards) I was able to get a BCE (albeit at a $500 limit), a PRG (no limit, also no FTF), and a Freedom with a $2k limit. 

Though your starting limits are based on things other than income and credit score, the general consensus on the boards is that Capital One gives pretty generous limits that tend to grow quickly. The Venture One has no AF or FTF, and the minimum line you'll get approved for is $2k. Another option is to try for an Amex PRG, which has no FTF, but a $195 AF. I used my PRG basically everywhere when I went to Ireland, but I'd personally stick with a Visa/MC just for peace of mind. While you're at it, see if Discover will give you an increase, just to show other creditors that you can responsibly handle a higher limit if approved. 

Good luck!

Message 15 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi there OP,

I have merged your two threads on the same subject into this original thread. Please refrain from posting the same topic more than once it can lead to confusion by the members and its agaisnt our TOS to do so. I thank you for your understanding on this.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.