Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid Citi

tag
KLGFCG
New Contributor

Stupid Citi

Just wanted to vent a little... about 2 weeks ago, I received a pre-approval offer from Citi for their Dividend MC. $100 cash back bonus after spending $500 in 3 mos., 2% cash back for a year (then 1%), 5% rotating categories, 0% APR for 12 mos. I didn't really need another card, but I didn't have a MC, and the bonus cash and 2% for 12 mos. was nice. So, I app'ed, and was approved for $1700. I was a little bothered with the limit; my other 3 cards have CL's between $4-6.5K, but no biggie. I'm normally a PIF'er, though I'll let a balance ride on 0% APR.

So, I come home today to find a new pre-approved Citi offer in my mailbox... same product, same terms, except now they're offering $150 after spending $750 in 3 mos. UHG!!! They're on my "cut up card as soon as 2% expires" list. I get that they sweeten the pot to try to get people to apply and it's nice that they offer bonus cash at all, but do they really have to send me the better offer only 1 week after I get my stupid card with a lower-than-hoped-for limit?!? I'm officially bummed and NOT a Citi fan!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stupid Citi

Really?  Cut it up over $50?  You do realize those offers you get in the mail are conceived well in advance of you actually receiving them right?

Message 2 of 8
KLGFCG
New Contributor

I know, I know. I'm just venting and I'm sure I'll be less melodramatic tomorrow... it just seems that it's the story of my life lately - buy something, the next day the price drops; accept a credit card offer, get a better offer; miss out on a good deal by e-mailing a little too late. Bummer.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't feel too bad. 'I will share too.

I got the $50 cash back on the Chase Freedom card when I could have had the $200 cash back bonus. I tried to get Chase to honor, and it didn't happen. I do love the card though, so I use it a lot.

Message 4 of 8
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Don't worry, i got the same offer from BOA Cash Rewards just today.  Offering more cash for the same card i got in July.  They don't realize who has what, and those mailings go out all over the place at specific marketing times.  No  use to try to get them to honor it either, because the answer is always no!

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

the SAME thing happened to me!!! I got my $150 offer today. And I *just* got the other card you described. I was going to call them tomorrow and see if they'll honor the new offer.

Message 6 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

the SAME thing happened to me!!! I got my $150 offer today. And I *just* got the other card you described. I was going to call them tomorrow and see if they'll honor the new offer.

+1.  You should definitely call them and ask them to apply the new offer to your account.  With how new your application is, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they would do that. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. I applied for Citi platinum MC for 0% APR for 18 months since i had to pay one semester fees and I got an instant denial. One week later I get this preapproval in mail and I apply again for the same card and got instantly approved for $3,500 CL 0% APR on purchases for 18 months and 0% APR on balance transfer for 12 months. On top of that my credit report just shows one inquiry. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.