Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid or maybe Not - Citi Secured.

tag
voidman
Established Contributor

Stupid or maybe Not - Citi Secured.

I was pondering over this for a while, I thought I could get some experts Idea over here.

I was denied for Citi CashBack due to low credit History and they would not reconsider it either, and so they offered me a secured card.

I was wondering if that is a good idea or not over these points.

1. I get a secured card for $5000, as this puts me on a 2k plus category probably viewed better?

2 It will help me with the Util, My normal monthly expenses is around $500-700. (I pay in full all the time)

3. Build credit history with a prime company.

4. The deposit would earn Interest as it is a CD with 4% APY, So I earn more money if I put there rather than ~0.30 in the savings account.

5. I will get into good books of Citi quicker then it normally takes? (not sure about this)

6. It is easy to do product change with Citi, good Customer Service, blah blah.

7. The interest earned on CD is as good as earning cash back Smiley Wink

What do you guys think?

Message Edited by voidman on 06-25-2008 08:28 PM
-void
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: Stupid or maybe Not - Citi Secured.

@voidman wrote:
I was pondering over this for a while, I thought I could get some experts Idea over here.

I was denied for Citi CashBack due to low credit History and they would not reconsider it either, and so they offered me a secured card.

I was wondering if that is a good idea or not over these points.

1. I get a secured card for $5000, as this puts me on a 2k plus category probably viewed better?

2 It will help me with the Util, My normal monthly expenses is around $500-700. (I pay in full all the time)

3. Build credit history with a prime company.

4. The deposit would earn Interest as it is a CD, So I earn more money if I put there rather than ~0.30 in the savings account.

5. I will get into good books of Citi quicker then it normally takes? (not sure about this)

6. It is easy to do product change with Citi, good Customer Service, blah blah.

7. The interest earned on CD is as good as earning cash back Smiley Wink

What do you guys think?

Sounds like everything works out in your favor in the long run. I say go for it. But before you do, make sure and verify that this is a card that DOES in fact graduate. I know that there are some secured cards that don't change over to an unsecured.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 6
voidman
Established Contributor

It says that the secured card *may* become unsecured after 18 months, I assume that it will if I stay within the bounds of credit-card agreement.
-void
Message 3 of 6
voidman
Established Contributor

BUMP

Hello guys, does any one see any problem in this, thanks Smiley Happy
-void
Message 4 of 6
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

voidman wrote:
It says that the secured card *may* become unsecured after 18 months, I assume that it will if I stay within the bounds of credit-card agreement.

BOA unsecures faster if that is a concern. I don't see why the citi card would be a problem (becoming unsecured) considering your plan for usage. Good luck.
Message 5 of 6
voidman
Established Contributor

@MsKiwi wrote:

@voidman wrote:

BOA unsecures faster if that is a concern. I don't see why the citi card would be a problem (becoming unsecured) considering your plan for usage. Good luck.

I am not too concerned of getting a citi card per-say, since I already have a inquiry from citi for the card I applied for, I am thinking if I can make it a productive inquiry.

The term for secured card is not a big deal as long as it earns interest. BOA security deposit does not earn interest.
-void
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.