cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid question about AMEX & Walmart Credit Card.....

tag
linux007969
Established Contributor

Stupid question about AMEX & Walmart Credit Card.....

So tonight when i was at walmart i went to pay my Walmart Credit Card and i thought I would use my AMEX Green to make the payment so i could earn the membership rewards and i swiped my card and it asked for my zip so i entered it and the machine at the register said that it was trying to authorize it and even then came up for me to sign the machine like it would normally but then just as i grabbed the pen to sign it disappeared and the clerk said it did not go through.

I called AMEX when i got home and i called the regular number and actually got an american Smiley Surprised and explained that my card was declined at walmart and they couldnt even see a declined charge and said if it declines they will see it within 2 or 3 seconds and i explained that the i used it  credit card payment  of $127.25 so i could earn membership rewards and he said that maybe that's why it declined and that you can't pay credit with credit. Then he said my account is in good standing and without me asking he said my account should be good for transactions of $130 or less. So maybe my internal limit is $130? lol or maybe after $130 they will watch my account more to see what i'm up to? (LOL) 

Then I called the regular number for my walmart credit card and got an american there too was well and she said that she did see my pending payment and i explained that i tried with an AMEX before and she said they don't take American Express.

My real questions are:

Has anyone else been able to use a credit card at Walmart to pay their Walmart Credit card? (Visa, Mastercard, Discover or even AMEX)

Was it stupid of me to try to pay my Walmart Credit card with my AMEX in the first place? I mean i'm not in debt i was just thought i could try and earn the membership rewards and pay the bill at the same time cuz I pay with my Visa Check card and that has no rewards at all, so i just thought i would see if i could do it and earn the rewards.

I figured it would work because when i log into my bank and view the transactions it reads "POS Purchase" so it doesnt read "Credit Card Payment" so i thought since it read pos purchase that so one will be able to tell what it was and that it would work... oh well i'm leanring something new everyday!

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Stupid question about AMEX & Walmart Credit Card.....

Yea I don't think that you can pay one CC with another CC and I guess that's why they have the BT ability.  It also doesn't work with student loans either because I wanted to get cashback on all of my monthly bills and nope, they don't let you put student loans on CC autopay, just ACH.  It was a good try though but it seems that CCC's have closed that black hole Smiley Frustrated.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 15
linux007969
Established Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

Yea I don't think that you can pay one CC with another CC and I guess that's why they have the BT ability.  It also doesn't work with student loans either because I wanted to get cashback on all of my monthly bills and nope, they don't let you put student loans on CC autopay, just ACH.  It was a good try though but it seems that CCC's have closed that black hole Smiley Frustrated.

I'm gonna try with my capital one next time and see if that works if not then no way to pay your walmart card with another credit card. It was very strange that it gave the authorization on my AMEX and almost letting me sign the machine instead of just declining authorization, i guess that means since Walmart itself takes AMEX that it was able to get authorization but was unable to send it to GE so it was then declined by GE not by Walmart or AMEX.

Message 3 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@linux007969 wrote:
membership rewards and pay the bill at the same time cuz I pay with my Visa Check card and that has no rewards at all,
You mention you can paid with your Visa Check card ??? IS that a Credit CARd or DEbit ???

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 15
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I tried to do the same thing with my cash rewards MC from USAA. I figured that since I was spending the money anyway, I might as well get some cash back. The lady at the register told me that Walmart does not allow a credit card payment on a credit account -- so I used my debit card and everything was fine.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 15
adavis425
Established Contributor

@linux007969 wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

I'm gonna try with my capital one next time and see if that works if not then no way to pay your walmart card with another credit card. It was very strange that it gave the authorization on my AMEX and almost letting me sign the machine instead of just declining authorization, i guess that means since Walmart itself takes AMEX that it was able to get authorization but was unable to send it to GE so it was then declined by GE not by Walmart or AMEX.

It won't work. The only ways to pay a cc with another cc is to do a bt or get a cash advance from one to pay the other. If you have a no-fee bt card, go for it but the cash advance fee makes it a bad idea (unless you're strapped for cash).

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 6 of 15
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

No!! my mom was able to pay all her SAMS CLUB DISCOVER WITH HER SEARS MASTERCARD. GE ACCEPTS CREDIT CARDS AS A FORM OF PAYMENT AS LONG AS ITS A VISA OR MASTERCARD. 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 7 of 15
linux007969
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

@linux007969 wrote:
membership rewards and pay the bill at the same time cuz I pay with my Visa Check card and that has no rewards at all,
You mention you can paid with your Visa Check card ??? IS that a Credit CARd or DEbit ???

Ummmm not to be rude but a check card is a debit card, they dont call them debit cards anymore at some banks.

Message 8 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

No!! my mom was able to pay all her SAMS CLUB DISCOVER WITH HER SEARS MASTERCARD. GE ACCEPTS CREDIT CARDS AS A FORM OF PAYMENT AS LONG AS ITS A VISA OR MASTERCARD. 

hmmmmmm i might going to find out  myself for this situation.....I always paid online and never came to store and paid for my bills ;-(

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 15
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

^^^^ yes call wal mart credit services and ask them, sam's isnt any different from wal mart especially since they are the same bank (GE) I think they only do this frorm of payment through the telephone.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.