Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful Product Change to Citi Double Cash

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Re: Successful Product Change to Citi Double Cash

You posted this thread at the perfect time, I was literally just last week wondering if this would be possible. I've had my Citi DP card for over 7 years, and it has LONG outlived its usefulness. Ever since the balance transfer incentive went away, the better part of a decade ago, it's become a plain jane credit card. Zero bells, zero whistles. Zero incentive to use it, unless I really need to buy something on credit and don't have any room on any other cards.

I recently applied for a DC card a few weeks ago, and was shot down. No joy. I really want a DC card, and I really don't want my DP card, so this would be the perfect answer!

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 21 of 43
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

You posted this thread at the perfect time, I was literally just last week wondering if this would be possible. I've had my Citi DP card for over 7 years, and it has LONG outlived its usefulness. Ever since the balance transfer incentive went away, the better part of a decade ago, it's become a plain jane credit card. Zero bells, zero whistles. Zero incentive to use it, unless I really need to buy something on credit and don't have any room on any other cards.

I recently applied for a DC card a few weeks ago, and was shot down. No joy. I really want a DC card, and I really don't want my DP card, so this would be the perfect answer!

I am stoked to Hear This, Mainly because I am not near as knowledgeable as some of the other posters/MODS

There are some sharp cookies here on myFICO, I try to share what little I know, and give as much detail as possible.

The Reason I do, is because I feel I want to Give Back, what has been given to Me.

myFICO has Helped Me so Much,

and The spirit of myFICO being "FSR" "Friendly Supportive and Respectful" is really Awesome!

I am Really working on all 3 of those. (I do fall short at times)

anyhow, let me know how it goes, as updates are always appreciated.

if you get a Citi rep that gives you problems,

"HUCA" (hang up and call again) and if need be, ask for a Supervisor!

Message 22 of 43
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

You have more patients than I do!, I just could not wait.

I am like a kid who you just took to the candy store.Smiley Happy

Oh trust me, I don't! I cannot wait to call them and change to the Double Cash card. I find cash back to be better for my spending habits compared to points.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 23 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

M_Smart007 good choice p/c to Citi DC. Did the same one and unless you want the first BT the Citi Simplicity and Citi Diamond Preferred are a waste of time. Speaking with experience. Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi has been hounding me to PC my DP to the DC for some time now. If it weren't a BT card I'd seriously consider it. Plus I'm not overly fond of the DC look versus DP. Perhaps in time when/if I start charging more on it, I'll convert then.

Otherwise I'm gonna hold out for some type of bonus to switch. lol

Message 25 of 43
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

So I finally got around to contacting Citi about this. I used their "chat now" feature on their website. I just asked if it would be possible to convert my DP to a DC, and he said that yes my account is elligible for that. Asked if there would be a HP, and he said there was no credit check invlolved at all, I was already approved for the PC if I want to go ahead with it. I said yes, logged out and logged back in, and now my account is showing as a DC, and my DP will continue to work (and now earn cash back) while I wait for the new card to arrive.

It was a piece of cake, I don't know why I waited 2 months to do it. Didn't even need to pick up the phone.

Message 26 of 43
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Oh and also, ThePointsGuy is reporting that later this fall, Citi DoubleCash dollars can be converted to Thank You points (but it's not yet known at what ratio). So while the cashback from the Citi DC card sort of conflicts with my Chase cards right now, later this fall it could actually work in tandem with them, by being another avenue for me to earn travel points.

Message 27 of 43
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

So I finally got around to contacting Citi about this. I used their "chat now" feature on their website. I just asked if it would be possible to convert my DP to a DC, and he said that yes my account is elligible for that. Asked if there would be a HP, and he said there was no credit check invlolved at all, I was already approved for the PC if I want to go ahead with it. I said yes, logged out and logged back in, and now my account is showing as a DC, and my DP will continue to work (and now earn cash back) while I wait for the new card to arrive.

It was a piece of cake, I don't know why I waited 2 months to do it. Didn't even need to pick up the phone.

Congrats on The Product Change!Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 43
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

I PCd an AT&T Universal card to DC in the summer of 2015. Each card issuer I contacted PCd my existing card to a cash back on my request. The only exception was American Express. 

Earlier this month I was at a Keybank branch. A personal banker told me that changing my existing credit card to their new cash back can't be done. I would have to make a new application for the 2% cash back card. I declined.  Now he's on my phone with urgent VMs to  apply for a new card. End of the month possibly.

So as of today American Express in 2015 and Keybank this month refused a product change. DC is my daily driver so the Keybank card is no biggie. It's my oldest card, lowest limit. If I were to lift security freezes on CRAs it would not be for a Keybank product. 

Message 29 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I’ve been trying to change my simplicity for a very long time. I’ve spoken with the executive office and there is an individual there who also has the simplicity and wants to change it. Because of the no APR change, no late fees ever and all this they refuse to change it but that may change in the future, is what I’m told by even the executive office. I have seen no successful PCs of simplicity. If there’s a thread on one, somebody please direct me to it.

However let me add one tidbit of information. The simplicity card is not losing the extended warranty protection and it is the only card that has access to citi easy deals. Citi easy deals give you 10 and 15% off of various products and merchants. And it changes all the time.

I have never even heard of easy deals, however go to cardbenefits.citi.com if you have a simplicity, click on the simplicity and follow the links to register for easy deals.

There’s also one other protection the citi simplicity is not losing, but I can’t recall which one it is. I think it is the theft and damage protection, but I’m not sure. Anyway when you go to that link and login, a pop up will come up whenever you choose your card, and it will inform you of the benefits being changed. Seems the simplicity is the only one keeping a couple benefits.
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.