Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden decreases in credit lines??

tag
JCAD42885
Established Member

Sudden decreases in credit lines??

Hi, I'm new to this board.

I hold a number of department and retail store cards that I haven't used in quite some time - maybe 1.5, 2 years. I was going through my statements tonight and I realized that the credit limits on these cards, which had previously been between $500 and $1000, have all been reduced to $124. 

I haven't received any letters about these reductions, but I don't understand. My FICO scores are good (around 750) and I don't carry a credit card balance.

Do you think these reductions were just for inactivity, or might there be another reason? Will these reductions hurt my credit score?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sudden decreases in credit lines??

They might be for inactivity. Some store cards get antsy after 6 months of non-use....others a year or two. If you have very low utility and these store cards were only a small part of your total available credit beforehand it is unlikely these limit lowerings will impact your score much if at all. If they were a medium to large portion of your available credit they could impact your score significantly if you run a balance.

Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

JCPenney use to do this to inactive accounts, but you use to be able to call and they would raise it back up.

but if you still are not going to use it, it will just happen again, so not much point in fighting to get the lines back. 

Message 3 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

$124?  weird number.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:
$124?  weird number.

exactly what i was thinking lol
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

if these are GEMB that is their inactive CL i think(decereased from incactivity)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.