Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for credit cards with good APR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestions for credit cards with good APR

I am coming out of garden in Oct and planning to go on app spree. Below is my profile:
BofA credit card: $9000 CLI
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday: $6500 CLI
NFCU Visa Signature Go Rewards: $6500 CLI
NFCU Visa Signature Cash Rewards: $11500 CLI

AA: 1.6 yrs
No derogs
Score: 731 on both TU and EF
Hard enq: 14 on TU ( last query on Aug 2017) and 16 on EF (last query on March 2018)

I applied for Citi and Chase earlier (early 2017) but turned down as my profile is relatively new.

Any recommendations for credit cards from Penfed, Capital One, Discover, NFCU which have high CLI? Looking for zero annual fee and less APR.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suggestions for credit cards with good APR

Assuming 731 is from CK, I would find out what your FICO scores are before proceeding. As for APR, it's really based on your credit profile although most rewards cards will have relatively higher APR, if you're looking for low APR to carry a balance with, you need to look for a no rewards card.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oldman87, where can I find my FICO score for free? Yes. 731 was from Credit Karma.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The score you get from Amex BCE is Experian FICO8, I don't have BoA and Navy so I don't know what they provide if they do. You can get all 3 FICO8 for $1 7 day trial at Credit Check Total, make sure you cancel before the trial end date or you'll be charged $30 monthly fee.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU’s Platinum has a low APR, you can even try to PC one of your current cards, I think that saves you another hard pull. If you can get in with USAA they also have a low rate Platinum card.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA gives you free TU FICO8 monthly.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip guys. TU FICO8 is 754 and EF FICO8 is 732. I did not serve in armed forces. So, I don’t think they allow me to join USAA.
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are you concerned with a low APR card?  I get zero APR, as in the case of a BT card, but low APR suggests planning ahead of time to have to carry balances and pay interest. 

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I don’t travel much. So, travel cards are not much use for me. I am not interested in balance transfers either. So, I thought I should look at 0 AF and low APR cards.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

TBH the days of good/low APRs are over. So the only way to combat that, is to either PIF or carry BT balances during 0% promotion period.

The typical APR seems to be between 16-18%, unless you go with a CU. Which it seems you have in those two NFCU cards^.

If you want lower rates, use you current cards wisely and ask for APR reductions. But it goes without saying, lower rates come with experience credit file and better scores. Also, since you're a student. You appear to already have a decent selection of cards, more isn't always better.

High HP/inq are going to count against you on a thin file, hence more denials. You might need to stay in the garden longer.

That said, Discover is good card to have and BofA has low rates from what I've seen. best of luck to you

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.