Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SunTrust Secured Cash Rewards

tag
Etherial73
New Contributor

SunTrust Secured Cash Rewards

Anyone have any experience with this card? I'm looking to add a third solid card after my Ch. 7 discharge; I was discharged 3/26/18. I already have a Cap One Platinum (unsecured) and a Discover IT (secured). I would like to know if anyone has experinece on qualification guidelines, approval chances, and whether the card unsecures and if so, what the avaerage timeline is. I researched this info on the website, but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Current FICO 8 scores:

Equifax - 597

TransUnion - 583

Experian - 543

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: SunTrust Secured Cash Rewards

The only thing I can add is that Sun Trust is fairly conservative and likes to see a little history. It’s a decent secured card in that it has a rewards program but it may be a little tougher to obtain. Best of luck if you do decide to apply. 

Message 2 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Before I filed BK I asked Sun Trust what was their guidlines. Secured available 1 yr after BK. I left went to Chase for the $300 checking. Joined here and found out Chase dont do anything with us. So I went back 2 yrs after BK asked again and got the Cash Rewards, and transfered my checking/savings all in 1 visit. C-Ya Chase! Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the SunTrust secured card since July of 2016. I have a fairly new SSN and have had past relationship with SunTrust for the last 10 years or so with high balances going in and out of my accounts with them. Most of my income goes into the account with them (6 figures annual net) and my scores are low 600's due to heavy usage of credit card account and lack of account age. They have been constantly declining to unsecure the account even with debit spends on their Delta card over 10k / month. I have asked to raise the limit also by adding more money, they only allow to open a new account. 

The card is good and the benefits are decent. It is hard to get hold of someone during closed business hours, had some fraud charges and it was a pain to put a hold on the card.

Currently, my scores are low 700's, will be waiting for the quarterly results. I have tried to call them and have them manually look at my account, they always say that it is done internally at set intervals and they can't do recon.

Had one baddie a BoA account that was closed and charged interest that went to chargeoff while I was overseas and never got the notice for, happened in 2013 and paid in full 2016. The amount was $230 for the chargeoff.

Have 1 closed auto loan with BMW paid in full $39k and with INFINITI $13K

My current accounts:

Cap1 Quicksilver CC $2500 1% util
SunTrust Secured CC $500 0% util
KOHLS/Cap1 CC $300 0% util
Home Depot/Genesis CC $2000 0% util
INFINITI Finance 5.28% $59k (48k bal)
INFINITI Lease $51k (17k on the report as residualized)

AU accounts:

AMEX Delta $2000 31% util
DiscoverIT $11500 70% util (0% balance transfer)
Citi Thank You Pref $6900 30% util (0% balance transfer)
Wells Fargo Plat $6500 0% util
Lowes $1900 0% util
Chase/Soutwest RR %6000 0% util
Cap1 QS1 $2300 1% util

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.