Did you mean: 

Sunflower Bank?

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Sunflower Bank?

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Hey ... what a name for a bank? Sunflower sure would make me stop and take notice! Smiley Very Happy

Well, they probably started out In Kansas, where sunflowers are a big deal as it's known as the Sunflower State.

One of my favorite past times is chasing bank bonuses and I did notice on DoC SunflowerBank currently has a $200 bonus offer - https://www.sunflowerbank.com/Smile200 Easy one, too - just $500 in ACH deposits and 20 debit card transactions. Might help get your foot in the door for their CCs with a bank account with them. But the killer for me is the offer is in-branch only, you have to open the account in branch. Which seems a bit tone deaf to me with the stay at home mandate in most states. And in Arizona their branches are all in the Phoenix area, over and hour and a half away for me, I'll pass.

Other than Geo-restrict by the in branch app, in today's world why a Debit Card? The risks are great and the rewards are usually virtually nill. Not worth my time.

Banks LOVE debit cards, they get fees for things that used to just cost them money - writing checks or using their ATMs to get cash for cash transactions. And the Amazon gift cards reloads of .50 cents+ each are an easy way to meet debit card requirements. But yeah, I refuse to play the debit card game - why encourage them?

Message 21 of 27
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone have experience with them? They're a regional bank here in Denver (as well as AZ, KS, MO, NM, and TX) with some really low credit card rates. Their best card (Platinum) is 6% (it's a variable card with no margin on the prime rate but has a 6% floor so it won't go up again until the prime rate does) and their highest is the Classic at 7.65% (1.65% margin with a 7.65% floor). In addition to these low rates, their cards are rewards cards (ScoreCard so not the best but better than no rewards at all). 

No BT fees, no CA fees (or higher APR), no AF, 1% FTF, no penalty APR on the Platinum card. Pretty wild terms for a bank honestly. 

https://www.sunflowerbank.com/creditcards

I had a checking and savings account with them (and a safety deposit box - do people still use them?) back in HS in the early 90s. Never had a credit card with them, though. Honestly a little surprised to see they're still around being that they were a tiny regional bank back then. Guess they grew a little.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

While my grandparents had one, and even my parents for a spell. I simply never understood the safety deposit box. I suppose it's more useful for richer people who might want to store higher end valuables in a secure location. But anything I ever owned could be stored in a lockbox/safe, and it's right there available to me 24/7. Instead of only 5 days a week between 9-5. Plus it's a one time fee versus monthly.

As for the debit card requirement, how long do you have to complete 20 transactions? Or is it an actual ongoing requirement to keep said account open without fees?

Message 23 of 27
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While my grandparents had one, and even my parents for a spell. I simply never understood the safety deposit box. I suppose it's more useful for richer people who might want to store higher end valuables in a secure location. But anything I ever owned could be stored in a lockbox/safe, and it's right there available to me 24/7. Instead of only 5 days a week between 9-5. Plus it's a one time fee versus monthly.

As for the debit card requirement, how long do you have to complete 20 transactions? Or is it an actual ongoing requirement to keep said account open without fees?

For the current Sunflower Bank bonus account must be opened (in branch) by June 30 and have the 20 debit card transactions posted by July 31 (+ $500 in ACH deposits), no other debit card transactions required IF you choose their "Convenience" checking account which is fee free. I've seen some savings accounts at some banks that pay a higher interest rate if you do XX number of debit card transactions monthly, usually if you don't meet the monthly debit card requirements you get a much lower rate. I would never have one of those accounts. 

And yeah, I think bank safe deposit boxes are pretty much a thing of the past, I've sure never seen a need for one. My mattress works for me. Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone have experience with them? They're a regional bank here in Denver (as well as AZ, KS, MO, NM, and TX) with some really low credit card rates. Their best card (Platinum) is 6% (it's a variable card with no margin on the prime rate but has a 6% floor so it won't go up again until the prime rate does) and their highest is the Classic at 7.65% (1.65% margin with a 7.65% floor). In addition to these low rates, their cards are rewards cards (ScoreCard so not the best but better than no rewards at all). 

No BT fees, no CA fees (or higher APR), no AF, 1% FTF, no penalty APR on the Platinum card. Pretty wild terms for a bank honestly. 

https://www.sunflowerbank.com/creditcards

Hey ... what a name for a bank? Sunflower sure would make me stop and take notice! Smiley Very Happy

Well, they probably started out In Kansas, where sunflowers are a big deal as it's known as the Sunflower State.

One of my favorite pastimes is chasing bank bonuses and I did notice on DoC SunflowerBank currently has a $200 bonus offer - https://www.sunflowerbank.com/Smile200 Easy one, too - just $500 in ACH deposits and 20 debit card transactions. Might help get your foot in the door for their CCs with a bank account with them. But the killer for me is the offer is in-branch only, you have to open the account in branch. Which seems a bit tone deaf to me with the stay at home mandate in most states. And in Arizona their branches are all in the Phoenix area, over and hour and a half away for me, I'll pass.

Yeah it was the DoC article that had me checking them out. I get the recap emails every day and if there's a bank or CU I don't know about on there, I go look them up to see what cards they offer. 

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

Iirc, I believed that I may have possibly apped for them anywhere between 1-2 years ago, but was declined due to being out of the geofence area (alas, ironically the geofence decline was done *after* they had taken a HP, and had previously stated -- until they didn't -- that I was eligible to app).

Same exact thing happened to me! They said I was eligible to apply, that they did have to mail me the app, and once I did, they submitted, pulled my credit and then declined me because I didn't have a branch right up the road from me. I was pretty furious about it as I specifically asked about this. 

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just some info for people that considering them, best thing is to go into a branch. They are geo-fenced to where you need a branch near you. They use TransUnion scoring model. No membership guidelines other than geo-restricted. 30k limit is max CCL. Platinum at 6% rate is for credit cards 10k and up only. 

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.