cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supply chain issues for credit cards...

tag
BTS

Re: Supply chain issues for credit cards...

I applied for Penfed Power Cash Rewards on 11/4 and haven't received my card yet Smiley Frustrated I called the representative and she said they are  having vendor issues and delays might be 45 days! To earn my $100 bonus I have to spend $1500 within 90 days of account opening, at this rate I might have to buy something worth $1500  hahaha

Message 21 of 35
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Bradac56 wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Bradac56 wrote:
90% of all cards are filled by U.S. Bancorp or Bank of America

Where did you get that from?  I happen to work for a company that prints credit cards for MANY banks and it's not one of those two.

Chip shortages are real, and some companies are better stocked than others, hence some cards shipping right away and some taking a while longer.

There's 4 main large card issuer networks in the country I only referenced the two that issues to regional/community sized instautions the most I'll admit it was a bit lazy on my part.  As for how I know that area a little bit, my current job is architecting a new data center network for one of them.

For the smaller instatuations you can tell US Bancorp and BoFA networks by what perks the card gives there fairly generic x1 or x1.5 cards and always look the same from bank/CU to bank/CU.  Your correct in that those two networks do not put there name on the cards it's always the regional/community.

The other two big networks typicly do not issue cards for small instatutions and then there are a couple of reginal issuers I'm not familiar with.

There's no relation between the perks offered by issuers on their card products and who prints and ships the physical cards.

There are a few full service providers that do everything and the bank just shows up with the money.  Most of the time, though, banks shop around and pick and choose what services they want from which vendors.  Data processing, physical card production, statement production, loyalty programs, UX, marketing, etc. are all different services that are sold by far more than two or even four providers.

Like I said, one of the services offered by the company I work for is physical card printing.  We do that for some, but not all of our clients.  We also do issuing processing (authorizations, data processing) for hundreds of clients... including Bank of America.

As for the shortages, you can choose not to believe in them if you want, but it doesn't make it less true.

Message 22 of 35
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@BTS wrote:

I applied for Penfed Power Cash Rewards on 11/4 and haven't received my card yet Smiley Frustrated I called the representative and she said they are  having vendor issues and delays might be 45 days! To earn my $100 bonus I have to spend $1500 within 90 days of account opening, at this rate I might have to buy something worth $1500  hahaha

If its live online and no card. See if you can get the CVV. Use Google, Samsung, or Apple pay.

Message 23 of 35
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

This supply chain issue looks very concerning. I was planning to apply for ~1-2 cards with high SUB before Christmas and if they plan to send cards within ~1-2 months, there is no way to collect the SUB Smiley Sad

Did all banks get impacted by this supply chain issue to make physical CC cards?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 24 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@xenon3030 wrote:

This supply chain issue looks very concerning. I was planning to apply for ~1-2 cards with high SUB before Christmas and if they plan to send cards within ~1-2 months, there is no way to collect the SUB Smiley Sad

Did all banks get impacted by this supply chain issue to make physical CC cards?

Not all financial institutions are impacted by it so far, but it's safe to say a variety of them have been. Hit or miss depending on the FI.

Message 25 of 35
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I would assume the FI would extend the sign-up bonus if asked due to not having card to charge if this is the case.  Has anyone that had this issue called issuing bank and asked for an extension?

Message 26 of 35
BTS

I can't get the CVV because the card needs to be activated. Also wanted to do a BT but nope, card must be activated LMAO ..they should just send an old school card without a chip until the supply chain fixes itself 😆 every passing day is lost money because no swipe fees! @FireMedic1 

Message 27 of 35
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Just got an email that my replacement Lowes/Sync card is about to be mailed and I should receive it in 7-10 business day! That was a request from over 2 weeks ago! So it seems like about a month delay...

Also my Lowes CC doesn't have a chip!

Message 28 of 35
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Got my Barclay's card that was approved for last week today and my BMO card is also already mailed.  Obviously depends whom the lender uses for their plastic.

Message 29 of 35
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

FWIW. Just got my Active cash approved 18 days ago. Got 5 requests to activate card. Well yeah when I get it.

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.