cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supply chain issues for credit cards...

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Supply chain issues for credit cards...

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@Bradac56 wrote:
Not sure I believe that line, 90% of all cards are filled by U.S.Bancorpp or Bank of America - as in all the regional/community banks and credit unions. I doubt card stock andlaminatorss are that hard to source right now. Everyone is still using that excuse but it's not that much of a thing anymore.

Yeah, that excuse is so old and tiredloll. About 3 years later "sorry, supply chain"Duuurrrr

I suspect if your livelihood was dependent on your employer's ability to ship **bleep** (mine is), you'd feel very differently about the supply chain issues.  Supply chain crap is absolutely real and it absolutely sucks.

        
Message 11 of 35
akaFettHutt
Contributor

Missing my AOD!

There was an attempted fraud purchase and the card was cancelled on November 23. Called 2 days ago and was told that VISA is having production issues. I needed it to pay my prop tax oh well!

Message 12 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Missing my AOD!

@akaFettHutt - please reference discussion upthread associated with delayed CC issuance and/or replacements. There's a couple other threads floating around reporting similar outcomes.

Message 13 of 35
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Bradac56 wrote:
90% of all cards are filled by U.S. Bancorp or Bank of America

Where did you get that from?  I happen to work for a company that prints credit cards for MANY banks and it's not one of those two.

Chip shortages are real, and some companies are better stocked than others, hence some cards shipping right away and some taking a while longer.

Message 14 of 35
805orbust
Valued Contributor

This is crazy. I ordered a replacement FF from Chase recently and it took so long that DW was suggesting I call in, or check with the neighbors.  Strange 

Message 15 of 35
Bradac56
Regular Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Bradac56 wrote:
Not sure I believe that line, 90% of all cards are filled by U.S. Bancorp or Bank of America - as in all the regional/community banks and credit unions. I doubt card stock and laminators are that hard to source right now. Everyone is still using that excuse but it's not that much of a thing anymore.

Reference some posts above this one (in addition to other threads floating around this section of the forums + other blogs besides MF) to get more insight on the issue. Also, that figure you stated is incorrect.

An item to keep in mind is that there are a plethora of vendors that a variety of financial institutions use for plastics fulfillment. So, unless you work directly in that particular side of the industry or logistical operations for a variety of those financial institutions that are faced with such current constraints, it's easier to dispel the alleged notion that it's simply an "excuse".

Yes there are tons of web pages out there that well confirm any view/bais you might have for any topic, fair point.

1.) I'm currently working in the banking industry (Sr. System Design Network Eng) and I know that we are not having chip/card shortages and our cards are being delivered within 3-4 working days on average.  Funny enough I also know how cards are actually issued to smaller instatutions withen 2 of the 4 networks. 

2.) I also know my Amex card replacement took exactly 3 working days last week and I use it contactless all the time.

I'm sure some companies are having shortages of things still but I am also pretty sure that nothing we use here in the greater North American continent hinges on anything near the Russian/Ukraine borders. The Chinese covid lockdowns effects our low and high end consumer electronics and textiles far more than anything else outside of the country.  Issues in California (strikes/drought/etc) will effect us far more than anything outside of the country. 

Message 16 of 35
Bradac56
Regular Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Bradac56 wrote:

Where did you get that from?  I happen to work for a company that prints credit cards for MANY banks and it's not one of those two.

Chip shortages are real, and some companies are better stocked than others, hence some cards shipping right away and some taking a while longer.

There's 4 main large card issuer networks in the country I only referenced the two that issues to regional/community sized instautions the most I'll admit it was a bit lazy on my part.  As for how I know that area a little bit, my current job is architecting a new data center network for one of them.

For the smaller instatuations you can tell US Bancorp and BoFA networks by what perks the card gives there fairly generic x1 or x1.5 cards and always look the same from bank/CU to bank/CU.  Your correct in that those two networks do not put there name on the cards it's always the regional/community.

The other two big networks typicly do not issue cards for small instatutions and then there are a couple of reginal issuers I'm not familiar with.

Message 17 of 35
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I lost a credit card. The Synchronny Bank is  having the same problem the turn around time is 20 to 28 days (7 to 10 days is normal) for me to receive the replacement card.  The EMV chips are in very high demand world wide.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 18 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Bradac56 wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Bradac56 wrote:

There's 4 main large card issuer networks in the country I only referenced the two that issues to regional/community sized instautions the most I'll admit it was a bit lazy on my part.  As for how I know that area a little bit, my current job is architecting a new data center network for one of them.

For the smaller instatuations you can tell US Bancorp and BoFA networks by what perks the card gives there fairly generic x1 or x1.5 cards and always look the same from bank/CU to bank/CU.  Your correct in that those two networks do not put there name on the cards it's always the regional/community.

The other two big networks typicly do not issue cards for small instatutions and then there are a couple of reginal issuers I'm not familiar with.

The point of the thread is that regardless of what part of the industry you work for, it's impossible to know the full effects of supply chain issues that are impacting different sectors of the financial industry at large, whether it's the largest or the regional/smaller FIs/CUs, so it's not the FIs just parroting excuses for unexpected delays. Plus, since you're an engineer and I'm sure you work with numbers, it's probably not a good idea to quote a figure (i.e. "90%") that can not be supported by actual statistics 🙃

Message 19 of 35
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

This can be one motivation for the lenders to migrate partially or completely to virtual cards (less chip, less plastic, no shipping fee). It is a win-win and if the customer needs the physical card, the card would get shipped.

A few months ago, I got approved for Citi Premier and I could immediately use it by the Citi virtual card feature. The physical card got arrived by snail mail in around 4 weeks and if I was planning to wait to get the physical card, I possibly could not fulfill the SUB.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.