cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surely this isn't right? credit back to CC?

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Surely this isn't right? credit back to CC?

I had a $25 gift card. Used it toward a purchase of $90. Returned an item ($30). Email today saying they had refunded $25 to the GIFT CARD and the remainder to my Visa.  How is that right??? I kept more than $25 worth of merchandise, shouldn't the refund have been applied to my CC instead?  I called the company and it took 10 minutes to get past the blah-blah-blah to a "supervisor" who has to contact "corporate" to see what they can do.  I never want to purchase anything from this company again (thought the memo had gotten around the family, but we missed one, hence the GC) so have no use for another gift card from them.  I hate to sound cheap, but it's MY $25, darnit.

Is this something for a Visa dispute or am I wrong in how refunds should be processed?

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Surely this isn't right? credit back to CC?

The merchant can most likely do it however they want to, but here it seems like they did the refund in the same way the initial purchase was done, gift card first, credit card second.

There might not be much you can do about this....

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 13
flowfaster
Established Contributor

what company?

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 13
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Yeah this is chosen by the merchant.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 13
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

They refunded the way you paid. I've never had a refund from a gift card go to a credit card.
Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 5 of 13
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 6 of 13
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

@ceemee2203 wrote:
They refunded the way you paid. I've never had a refund from a gift card go to a credit card.

No, I paid MORE than the amount of the gift card on Visa, so it should have been refunded to the Visa first, gift card last.  If I had only purchased $25 worth of items, absolutely, refund the form of payment, but since I purchased more, the excess should go to any of the store's form of payment last.

FWIW, it was Christopher & Banks.  Used to have a shop near me, used to carry good quality clothing. Quality went down, shop closed, so I no longer have a location to make returns if an item turns out crappy in their hit-or-miss collections.  My family used to give me GCs from there, but I've asked them to stop as I no longer wished to patronize the company.  Someone didn't get the memo, so I went ahead and ordered. Last time. Ever. I will sell/regift if I ever see another GC from them.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 7 of 13
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

It took me a while, but i think i get it.  → Total Purchase = 90 → 75 on your CC & 25 from GC.

Then you returned a $30 item.  They refunded 30. → 5 on your CC & 25 on the GC.

Do i understand?

If so, then the store did it correctly.  Obviously, store policy is in effect here.  And it is usually because they don't want to just exchange money.  They want to earn money.  Your friend buys and 25 GC you walk in and say give me the 25 dollars.  The store is not a bank.  They are hoping that either that 25 GC is pure profit (i.e.. never gets used) or the GC entices a higher cost purchase or multiple purchases.  

It can vary based on stores as to their policies for GCs.  But most will not just give you the cash.  Or in your case, you returned an item you bought in hopes of getting cash.  A circumvent way of trying to just get a cash value for the GC.  

You can try.  But most likely not going to happen.

Message 8 of 13
adavis425
Established Contributor

@thankfulheart wrote:

@ceemee2203 wrote:

No, I paid MORE than the amount of the gift card on Visa, so it should have been refunded to the Visa first, gift card last.  If I had only purchased $25 worth of items, absolutely, refund the form of payment, but since I purchased more, the excess should go to any of the store's form of payment last.

FWIW, it was Christopher & Banks.  Used to have a shop near me, used to carry good quality clothing. Quality went down, shop closed, so I no longer have a location to make returns if an item turns out crappy in their hit-or-miss collections.  My family used to give me GCs from there, but I've asked them to stop as I no longer wished to patronize the company.  Someone didn't get the memo, so I went ahead and ordered. Last time. Ever. I will sell/regift if I ever see another GC from them.

Doesn't matter. Whenever you pay with a gift card and do a return, unless you return everything, the refund goes to the gift card first. They were right about this one. Smiley Frustrated

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 13
colindidit
Established Contributor

yeah at my job and in most retail scenarios we refund the gc first then the CC. They'll always do GC returns first....when we sell gift cards they count as a non transaction i.e. we don't make money of them. so you'll get the 25 back on the original gc and then whatevers left goes on your cc

Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.