cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprising Amex CLI denial - advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Surprising Amex CLI denial - advice?

@Jamex wrote:

I just realized that because the first reason listed was "Time with Amex too short," maybe I just jumped the gun on my 60 day calculation? On CK it says the account was opened on July 10, 2014, but that's also the day I actually applied and was approved, so maybe it wasn't technically "opened" for a couple days after that? I also saw that folks who are turned down for jumping the gun just get the same 7-10 day message.

I just tried again and once again got the 7-10 day message. I'll try one last time on Monday, and if it's still a no-go then I'll wait another 90 days. Would hate to miss out just because I'm not understanding how they calculate eligibility dates.

I also thought it was a bit weird that when I just chatted with a CSR online, he said he couldn't tell me the specific date it was opened, just month and year. They should be able to tell you the specific date, right? 

I think what CK says is probably pretty accurate. 

Message 11 of 14
keithB
Established Contributor

@Jamex wrote:

I just realized that because the first reason listed was "Time with Amex too short," maybe I just jumped the gun on my 60 day calculation? 

LOL, quite possible... That's why I'll never understand why people feel it's written in stone to hit them up on day 61.  I waited until day 65, and guess what? I was approved.

Message 12 of 14
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

it happens, not everyone gets a CLI at the 61 day mark, if you start with only 1 or 2k CL card, it means you were borderline approval, you haven't done enough to change thier opinion, yet. Give it 90 days and ask again, you may get it. Just because they didn't give you a CLI today, doesn't mean you are trapped with a low limit, I started at 6k, denied 61 day CLI,  waited 6 months, appoved for 7.5k CLI, waited 6 months, got an auto-CLI on another card, asked for 15k Appoved. Sometimes it starts out slow, but if your scores and income support it amex can grow to be your biggest CL quickly. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 13 of 14
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

I don't think it's that bad. I'd be happy with the 12.99% APR and the approval on the Everday card. As your profile improves, there will be opportunities for a CLI and that is FACT. However, we should be celebrating the fact that you were able to get approved for a no annual fee MR card w/ bonus even with derogs! 

Try not to let it bother you as the glass is half full. I personally got approved for a with a $1k limit and no increase on the 61 day, but now I have a fairly new account with a $24.5k limit. It's always YMMV.

Rack up on those MR points and take a trip! KLM and Air France have some super deals going on right now for award travel. Little as 25k rountrip flights from 11/1 to 12/31 !!!

Smiley Happy

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.